GDF captain to be charged with murder today

-autopsy confirms woman died from multiple gunshot wounds

A post-mortem examination performed on the remains of Reona Payne, the travel agent who was shot on Saturday during an argument with her common-law husband, GDF Captain Orwain Sandy revealed that she died as a result of multiple gunshot injuries.

This was confirmed by Commander of ‘A’ Division (ag) Leslie James.

Stabroek News was reliably informed that Payne was shot fourteen times about her body including once to her head.

The incident occurred around 10.15am on Saturday following an argument with Sandy who later turned himself into the police.

He is expected to be charged today with the crime. He is scheduled to appear in the Georgetown Magistrate’s Court.

This shooting occurred at First Street, Alexander Village, after which Sandy drove himself to the Ruimveldt Police Station and informed the police there of what transpired.

He also handed over the suspected murder weapon and was subsequently placed in custody.

Although both Sandy and Reona were married to other people, they were living together for about five years at Sandy’s Lot 771 Providence, East Bank Demerara home.

In a statement, the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) had confirmed that Sandy was immediately interdicted from duties and announced that an inquiry has been launched to determine the circumstances surrounding the fatal shooting.

“The Force is truly saddened by this occurrence and would want to reassure the general populace that this is an isolated incident and is not reflective of the Values and Standards of the Guyana Defence Force,” the statement had noted.

It added that the Chief of Staff, Brigadier Patrick West has since ordered the Inspector General of the GDF to conduct a board of inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the incident.

This newspaper was told by friends of the couple that they had been experiencing problems. Sandy has claimed that Payne was involved in a relationship with another rank of the GDF.

Reports had revealed that around 8am on Saturday, Sandy and Reona left home in his vehicle, PWW 7163, for her workplace. On their way, an argument reportedly ensued over the woman’s other relationship and Sandy instructed her to end it. He drove to Independence Boulevard, where he collected a tent he had taken for repair and then he proceeded to First Street, Alexander Village.

Sandy has told investigators that it was at this point that Reona reportedly held on to the steering wheel of the vehicle and removed Sandy’s firearm, which was between the two front seats. She reportedly threw the firearm through the window and began to scream.

However, Sandy stopped and exited the vehicle to retrieve his firearm. As he was returning to the vehicle, Reona reportedly jumped out and began to run east along the street

Sandy then shot her multiple times about her body. He then drove to the police station

Around the Web