Police probing conduct of first responders to fatal Russian Embassy accident

Suresh Khellowan

The Kitty police are investigating the allegations made by a reporter about the conduct of the first responders at the scene of a fatal accident at the Russian Embassy turn last week Sunday.

Motorcyclist Suresh Khellowan, 22, died after colliding with the guard rail at the embassy turn early on the morning of April 15th. He reportedly suffered multiple injuries, said to be compounded by a fractured skull.

Stabroek News had previously reported that a journalist, who was at the accident scene, claimed that the first police to arrive at the scene left without first properly examining the body and stated that they operated “as if there was no effort to save life.” It was also claimed that no action was taken by the first ambulance attendants who arrived.

Taj Andrew Jarvis

The journalist would later be informed by another batch of police officers, who later arrived from the Kitty Police Station, that no report of the accident had been made.

It was related to this newspaper on Tuesday that police are currently examining CCTV footage to corroborate the allegations made by the reporter, whose statement on the matter was taken by police last Wednesday.

This case is the second in weeks that the actions of first responders have been called into question.

On Good Friday, labourer Taj Andrew Jarvis, 27, was stabbed in his chest and chin during a robbery attempt at Barr and Alexander streets, Kitty. Stabroek News had reported that Jarvis was pronounced dead on arrival after being taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital by ambulance.

But video footage uploaded to Facebook by the “Guyanese Critic” page showed Jarvis lying on the ground for 5 ½ minutes as Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) sluggishly searched for a pulse and heartbeat, again, and again.

The commentary in the background suggested the uncertainty of those on the ground, as one medic was continuously told to double check, while a woman indicated that she had already checked and found a pulse.

“Y’all put the man pon a stretcher nuh man…he moving, he moving slight…all duh is more time wasting,” a man commented off camera, as they once again, checked for a pulse.

“This man done deh out here about 15 minutes,” he added, while suggesting that they consider giving Jarvis saline on the way to the hospital.

Those in the comments section under the video were incensed at the handling of Jarvis’ case and questioned the capacity of the EMTs to deal with crisis situations.

“A bystander should not have to suggest they put him on a stretcher….A TRAINED EMT SHOULD ALREADY KNOW THE PROTOCOL……I AM FURIOUS….now a parent has to watch their CHILD in such a horrible state SHAMEFUL MY PEOPLE.!” Beverly Collette said in the comments.

‘This is ridiculous this man need to be taken seriously, why is the EMS Paramedics doing all this, it can be done on the way to the hospital, have mercy my God, they so backward it’s a crying shame. Who teaches these [people] about a critical condition? An individual is slowly but surely about to die yet they still checking for a rapid heartbeat. Really guys…,” Facebook user Paul McKenzie commented.

“These EMT do not have trauma response training most likely because Guyana does not have a trauma response emergency center. This is all evident based on their lackadaisical response to the victim, checking for a pulse, no urgency to stabilize the victim, no radioing ahead to the emergency room to get the trauma team ready,” Evan Fraser also criticised.

Around the Web