Cops arrest sister of suspect in 18-year-old Enmore murder

-seeking other sibling

 As the probe into the 18-year-old murder of Daniel Singh widens, investigators have arrested a sister of the captured suspect and are on the hunt for another sister, who is the owner of the house where he was arrested over the weekend.

A police source yesterday told Stabroek News that a sister of Deonarine Bhihari, who is presently in custody, was present at the Enmore, East Coast Demerara house, where he was arrested.

However, the other sister, who owns the house, has since gone into hiding and is being pursued by the police.

Additionally, the source said an application for an extension to further detain Bhihari was made to the High Court yesterday and it was granted. As a result, he remains in custody. The police are said to be in the process of reconstructing a file in the matter since they cannot locate the original one.

Divisional Commander Edmond Cooper had previously told Stabroek News that ranks have enough evidence linking Bhihari to the crime and already have in their possession statements from persons who were associated. Once this is completed, he had said, the file will be sent for advice and Bhihari is likely to be charged.

Bhihari was arrested on Saturday evening at a relative’s Enmore, East Coast Demerara residence, after managing to evade the police for 18 years.

Information reaching Stabroek News had revealed that Bhihari was hiding in Venezuela for some time. He reportedly returned to the country sometime this year due to the current situation there.

He is accused of fatally chopping Singh in 2000.

On May 21st, 2000, 49-year-old Singh, a single father of four, of Hope West, Enmore, was chopped to death by a cutlass-wielding man. The man had also hacked three of Singh’s dogs to death and injured another one, while three of his children stood and watched on in horror. Singh’s daughter, Nalini, who also witnessed the attack, was screaming at the man before he started to attack her too. The girl was chopped on her hands twice and only managed to escape from more serious injuries after she and her siblings ran to a bedroom and locked the door.

Singh’s relatives had related to Stabroek News that they were made aware of the man’s presence in the country and had been working with the police as well as lawyers on apprehending him. They were finally able to arrest him on Saturday.

Around the Web