Spent shells can’t be found – court hears

‘Nasty Man’ murder trial

The trial of Delon Henry known as ‘Nasty Man’ continued yesterday at the High Court when the jury heard that the spent shells recovered following the shooting death of Dexter Griffith cannot be located.

Henry is currently on trial for the 2015 murder of Dexter Griffith who was shot several times about the body on September 29 while sitting on a chair in front of his house at ‘Warlock, East Ruimveldt Housing Scheme.

Several persons testified yesterday including Science Officer attached to the Forensic Lab, Eon Jackson and Pathologist Dr. Nehaul Singh, among others.

Jackson in his Evidence-in-Chief explained that on October 5, 2015 he had collected from one Constable Grant an evidence bag containing five fired 9MM casings which he examined.

He noted that after completing his examination, the spent shells were placed back into the bag and it was resealed before being lodged with the property room at the Criminal Investigation Department Headquarters.

The court heard that the very casings had been presented during the preliminary inquiry at the Georgetown Magistrate’s Court where they were tendered as evidence.

However, Jackson noted that though checks were made at the  CID’s property room on Friday last, he was unable to locate the said bag; a check was also said to have been made at the Tactical Services Unit Armoury but that too came up empty.

 This being said, the casings which were reportedly retrieved from the scene of the shooting could not have been produced at court yesterday.

 Meanwhile, Pathologist Dr. Nehaul Singh told the court that Griffith had died due to shock and haemorrhage as a result of the gunshots sustained; he stated that six bullets had entered and exited Griffith in wake of the shooting

 Detective Rodwell Sarrabo, another witness called during yesterday’s hearing, told the court that after receiving certain information, the allegation of murder was laid to Henry who had been taken into custody at the CID Headquarters following the shooting.

According to Sarrabo, the accused was brought to his office on the afternoon of October 5, 2015 and the allegation of murder levelled against him in the presence of Inspector Shivram Murgaya.

 He noted that Henry was cautioned, after which he said, “Officer, Barrow use to watch my back in prison and when they kill he, El Sinkey think that when I come out, I coming to kill he so that’s why this man dead. He and Mafia roll up on me in a dark car with a long gun fuh kill me.”

However, Sarrabo testified that when asked to give a written statement of what he related to them, the man declined. The detective told the court that he moved to record what was related by Henry but when it came time for him to sign the document he refused.

He also noted that he had escorted Henry to the Georgetown Public Hospital following a request by the accused to seek treatment for injuries to the foot he had received while trying to flee the police.

This chain of events were also shared by Inspector Shivram Murgaya who in his evidence-in-chief confirmed Sarrabo’s claim that Henry had refused to give a written statement.

 Also testifying was Detective Assistant Superintendent Simeon Reid who in his evidence-in-Chief said he had been responsible for the photographic Identification Parade in which Kishawn Griffith, the brother of the deceased had identified Henry as the man who shot his brother.

After detailing the procedure he followed before presenting Kishawn Griffith with the photographic line up and him identifying Henry as the man he saw shoot his brother, Reid said Henry was informed that he had been pointed out by the witness.

 He, however, denied being the person who committed the act and was cautioned, after which he denied the allegation once more.

 Reid under cross-examination by defence attorney Adrian Thompson was asked whether he felt the undertaking of a photo ID parade as opposed to a physical one was fair since the witness Kishawn Griffith claimed to have seen pictures of Henry published in the newspapers just one day prior.

Reid in his response told the court that he believes it was a fair decision.

Reid when questioned if he was aware that the photo of Henry was published in the newspapers said yes, while maintaining that the use of a photo ID Parade was fair.

This prompted Thompson to show Reid in open court a copy of the Guyana Chronicle newspaper dated Monday October 5, 2015 which bore the photos of Henry and two other men. However, Reid said he was unsure of which paper he had seen the photo published.

Thompson went ahead to ask that the paper be admitted as evidence but was met with opposition by state counsel who contended that the witness is not the author nor custodian of the paper.

Meanwhile, Justice Kissoon first sought to clarify which paper the deceased’s brother had testified to seeing the photos published. After it was confirmed that it was the Guyana Chronicle, Justice Kissoon overruled the prosecution’s objection and had the paper admitted as an exhibit in the trial.

The trial continues today with the prosecution expecting to present their final two witnesses.

Around the Web