Linden security guard dies after doused with hot water

A security guard succumbed to burns he sustained more than two weeks ago after he was doused with hot water allegedly by his niece during an argument at Linden and the police are currently trying to re-arrest the suspect.

Dead is Hilbert Scott, 56, a resident of Lot 38 Half Mile, Linden.

Stabroek News understands that the incident occurred around 9.30am on June 16 after which Scott was treated at the Linden Hospital and sent away.

However, he later complained about feeling unwell and was taken to the said hospital, where he was admitted. During his hospitalisation, Scott’s condition worsened and he was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) where he succumbed around 8.15 am on Monday.

The suspect, Frances Harlequin, remains at large.

The suspect, this newspaper was told was arrested by the police the day after the incident and was later released on self-bail pending a court appearance.

However, on June 25, when the matter was called at the Linden Magistrate’s Court before Magistrate Clive Nurse and Harlequin was charged with the offence of causing grievous bodily harm with intent, she was not present in court.

As such, the magistrate had ordered that the suspect be summoned to court for the next hearing on July 9.

Reports are that Scott and the suspect lived at the same property but in separate apartments.

Information reaching Stabroek News revealed that on June 16, Harlequin allegedly lit a ‘coal pot’ and the smoke started to affect Scott.

As a result, Scott had related to the police that he went over to Harlequin’s apartment to speak to her about the smoke when she became annoyed and allegedly threw the hot water on him.

Following the incident, Scott immediately went to the Wismar Police Station where he reported the matter and was escorted for medical attention.

Shortly, after this, Harlequin reportedly visited the said police station and alleged that Scott dealt her a cuff to her mouth and she threw the water on him in retaliation.

She was also sent for medical attention but never returned to the station.

As the police investigation continues, a case file has been prepared and sent for legal advice.

Stabroek News understands that several checks were also made for Harlequin but she was nowhere to be located.

A post-mortem conducted yesterday revealed that Scott died as a result of Sepsis.

The autopsy was performed by Government Pathologist Dr Nehaul Singh at the Georgetown Public Hospital mortuary.

Around the Web