Victims flown to city after Mahdia accident

At least four persons were flown to Georgetown yesterday morning for the treatment of injuries sustained in a vehicular accident at Mahdia on Sunday evening.

The accident occurred shortly before 8.15 pm when an SUV transporting several persons drove into a hole in the vicinity of Tiger Hill, causing it to topple several times.

Over eight persons, including a baby and at least two Venezuelan nationals, were travelling in the vehicle—a Land Cruiser—at the time, this newspaper was told.

Faye Stewart, a resident of Mahdia whose relatives were in the vehicle, told Stabroek News that she received a call at 8.14 pm from her 15-year-old nephew, Ray Baptista, asking her to send help as the vehicle they were in “turn over.”

“The cruiser had left Mahdia to go pick up some passengers from a bus that had gotten stuck in the road just before a place called Brian Sucre’s Junction; the passengers didn’t want to stay and sleep the night in the bush where the bus was stuck, so they walk out to the junction,” Stewart explained.

She noted that while on the way back to Mahdia, the driver of the vehicle, who was said to be inexperienced, landed in the hole, causing the vehicle to topple and pin a woman.

According to Stewart, the woman, who she could only identify as “Monica,” suffered injuries to her neck, back and legs. She also blacked out as a result of the pain. Baptista also suffered a fractured knee after jumping from the vehicle.

Other persons who were injured as a result of the accident include Sereena Albert, who sustained broken ribs as well as other injuries, and Janell Wong, who sustained lacerations to her face.

Stabroek News was told that even though a team was successful in reaching the accident victims to take them to the hospital, the entourage reportedly got stuck along the road and they had to endure a heavy downpour. 

Stewart noted, however, that once they arrived at the hospital, they were seen by doctors and nurses, whom she said were very responsive throughout what was a very confusing time.

According to Stewart, while the Mahdia District Hospital has an X-ray machine, they do not have an X-ray technician, and as a result at least four persons had to be flown to the city yesterday to undergo X-rays and receive further treatment, while others with less serious injuries were treated and discharged.

Commenting on the current condition of the road, Stewart said she believes the main contributor to the accident was the deplorable state of the road, which is a view others have endorsed, saying it is the worst the road has been in years.

Around the Web