Drivers in Ruby death probe plead guilty to drunk driving

The two drivers who were arrested on Saturday after they allegedly struck down and killed Sherman Daniels along the Ruby Public Road, East Bank Essequibo were yesterday fined after being charged with several traffic-related offences excluding causing death by dangerous driving.

Kimberly Pearson, 21, of Section ‘C’ Block ‘Y’ Grove, East Bank Demerara and Sherwin Joseph, 28, of Hyde Park, EBE appeared in the Vreed-en-Hoop Magistrate’s Court.

Pearson was charged with driving under the influence, being an unlicensed driver and driving an uncertified and uninsured motor vehicle while Joseph was charged with driving under the influence and driving an uninsured, unlicensed, and uncertified motor vehicle.

They both pleaded guilty to the charges and were fined $77,500 and $65,000 respectively.

However, as it relates to the accident, the duo was released on station bail pending investigations.

Public Relations Officer of the Guyana Police Force Jairam Ramlakhan yesterday said that the case file in relation to the accident is being compiled and will be sent for legal advice later this week.

Pearson and Joseph were taken into custody following an accident early Saturday morning which resulted in the death of Daniels, 44, a logger/labourer of Kamwatta Mission, North West District.

They were both subjected to breathalyser tests which found that they were above the legal limit for alcohol.

Daniels was struck down at around 1.30 am on Saturday.

Pearson was the driver of motor vehicle PWW 6657 while Joseph was driving motor vehicle PRR 459.

A Guyana Police Force statement said that investigations revealed that motor car PRR 459 was proceeding west along the southern carriageway of the road when it allegedly struck down the pedestrian, who was walking in the centre of the road.

Immediately after, PWW 6353, which was proceeding in the same direction behind the other vehicle, also struck the pedestrian, the statement added.

The man was rushed to the Leonora Cottage Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

A post-mortem had showed that he died as a result of multiple injuries due to the motor vehicle accident.





Around the Web