Samples for DNA testing taken from suspected remains of missing Soesdyke labourer

Patrick Vyfhuis

DNA samples have been taken for testing from the remains suspected to be those of missing labourer Patrick Vyfhuis, which were discovered more than two weeks ago at Kuribrong, in Region Eight.

Commander of ‘F’ Division Kevin Adonis told Sunday Stabroek that at this point in time, the focus is on determining if the remains are indeed those of Vyfhuis.

He added that an autopsy conducted on the remains was inconclusive.

Vyfhuis, 42, a father of three of Lot 20 Soesdyke Back Road, East Bank Demerara, was last seen alive by his relatives on July 5th, when he left home to work in the interior with a man identified as Alvin Jaisingh.

A police source had previously said that it was strongly suspected that the remains may be those of Vyfhuis since his employer reportedly identified the clothing and footwear he was wearing after the discovery.

Vyfhuis’ sister, Odessia Spencer, had said that her family wanted a thorough investigation into her brother’s disappearance.

The woman had urged the police to question Jaisingh since she said he was the last person her brother was seen with. However, no one was detained for questioning since the discovery.

Spencer had explained that the family learnt that Vyfhuis was missing after one of his friends, who lives in close proximity to Jaisingh’s wife, related to them that he could not be found.

As a result, she had said another sister went to Jaisingh’s wife to enquire about Vyfhuis’ whereabouts but the woman reportedly refused to provide her with any information.  “We went to the man’s wife… when my sister went to her, she didn’t want to talk to her. She said that how her dogs are untied and the gate already locked. So she (the sister) [told] her that… she heard that Patrick went missing and she just want to find out but she didn’t come out and talk to her,” Spencer had related.

Spencer said afterward she advised her sister to go to the police and lodge a report. She said her sister did not go immediately since they had heard that Jaisingh was travelling out from Kuribrong and he was expected to be home soon.

However, after three days elapsed, Spencer said there was no sign of Jaisingh.

The woman had said that her suspicions grew and she once again told her sister to go make a report to the police. She did so and was referred to Police Headquarters at Eve Leary, Georgetown.

Around the Web