Accused in fatal West R’veldt arson still hospitalised

Jewel Coats, the 36-year-old woman who sustained burns after she allegedly set her husband’s West Ruimveldt, Georgetown house almost two weeks ago, resulting in his death, remains hospitalised.

This is according to a police source, who told Sunday Stabroek yesterday that Coats is still a patient under guard at the Georgetown Public Hospital, where she is being treated for burns she sustained about her body.

Her condition is listed as stable.

It remains unclear if the police have yet obtained a statement from Coats.

The charred remains of 56-year-old Christopher Bramble, called ‘Harry,’ of Lot 39 West Ruimveldt, were found in the aftermath of a fire which occurred in the early moments of September 10th.

Coats was rescued from the burning house by residents of the area.

The police, in a press release, had said initial investigations revealed that residents observed smoke and fire emanating from the couple’s small wooden house. The police said residents were forced to break a wall to remove Coats from the burning structure since the door was locked. It was only after the fire was extinguished that the discovery of Bramble’s remains was made.

It was suspected that Bramble was stabbed before he perished in the fire.

However, an autopsy revealed that he died of smoke inhalation but due to the state of his remains, the pathologist was unable to determine if he sustained any other injuries.

Residents had previously related to this newspaper that throughout the day before the fire, Bramble and Coats were heard arguing. During the argument, they alleged, Coats threatened to burn the house with Bramble inside. Around midnight, they said, she allegedly locked the house and the fire erupted shortly after.

After being rescued, Coats, whose clothing was covered in blood, reportedly told residents that she was home alone. She subsequently attempted to leave the scene but residents prevented her from doing so and handed her over to the police.




Around the Web