Pedestrian dead, biker critical after Princes St accident

Dead: Orin Roberts

A motorcyclist is currently fighting for his life in a city hospital after he was injured in an accident at the junction of Princes and John streets, Georgetown, where he is reported to have fatally struck a 60-year-old pedestrian on Sunday afternoon.

Andrew Glasgow, 24, a resident of Lot 49 Recht door Zee, West Bank Demerara, is currently warded at the Georgetown Public Hospital, where his condition is listed as critical.

Orin Roberts, a father of one of Lot 23 John and Norton streets, Werk-en-Rust, Georgetown, who was struck by Glasgow, was also taken to the hospital after the accident. Roberts, who sustained severe head injuries and a broken left leg, was picked up in a semi-conscious state and taken to the hospital. He succumbed around 10 pm while receiving medical attention.

The section along Princes Street, Georgetown, where the accident occurred.

The accident occurred around 5.30 pm on Sunday.

A police source informed Stabroek News that the investigation has so far determined that Roberts was standing on the northern side of Princes Street, waiting to cross the road, when Glasgow, who was approaching, reportedly lost control as he neared John Street. As a result, he reportedly collided with Roberts.

Roberts’ niece, Marissa Primo, yesterday told Stabroek News that the man was heading to Adelaide Street to visit some friends.

Roberts, she said, walked with the aid of a stick and had hearing issues.

According to Primo, Glasgow was part of a convoy of bikes that were in a funeral procession. “Apparently they had a funeral going on yesterday [Sunday] and the whole crew was coming from upper Princes Street…,” she said.

Primo, who is a dance instructor, added that she and her students were on a break nearby when they heard the loud impact of the collision. “…We had a lil break, so me and the students we were outside talking and then we heard the collision. When we look up the road, we saw somebody pitch but I didn’t know it was my uncle,” she explained.

As a result, Primo said they proceeded to the scene to find out what had happened.  “When we got there, we see the crowd and so forth and then I make my way through and I saw my uncle (Roberts) on the floor. When I look up ahead, I saw the other young man (Glasgow), also. His motorcycle wasn’t too far away from him,” she recalled.

Primo added that shortly after, Glasgow’s mother, who was also part of the procession, arrived in a minibus. She said the weeping woman reportedly secured a vehicle and hurriedly transported Glasgow to the hospital, while Roberts was left lying on the road. “Both of them (Roberts and Glasgow) could have fit in that vehicle comfortable but they left him and a cab end up picking up my uncle (Roberts) because how he was injured, his entire leg was damaged—it was ring all the way around—and he was bleeding from his ear, so I assumed he had some kind of brain damage going on,” she noted.

She said after their arrival at the hospital, doctors were trying to stabilise Roberts’ condition. “He didn’t really know where he was, so they were trying to have a conversation with him. His speech wasn’t of the best; I guess it was because of what was going on in the brain. His speech wasn’t as fluent as mine but he was communicating,” she said. “The doctor came to me and she said it seems as though he had some kind of brain injuries, so she asked me [for consent] to do a CT scan and a spinal scan as well. So, it’s two CTs he had to do. They send me over to the CT Department. Apparently there were no technicians available to do a CT scan, so the order was sent in like 6.30 (Sunday evening)… so they couldn’t operate without a CT scan, even though they knew he had the injuries, so he died,” she charged.


Around the Web