Stewartville shopkeeper dies in De Kinderen car crash

Dead: Nkasi Mckend

A 28-year-old shop owner is now dead and two of her friends sustained injuries following an early morning accident along the De Kinderen, West Coast Demerara (WCD) public road yesterday.

Dead is Nkasi Mckend popularly known as ‘KC’, a mother of one who resided at Lot 45 Stewartville, WCD.

The injured duo has been identified as Mario Desa and Caleb Morrison, 33.

The badly damaged motor car, PRR 4151, that Mckend was driving at the time of the accident.

They were all rushed to the Leonora Cottage Hospital where Mckend was pronounced dead on arrival. Desa and Morrison were treated for minor injuries and discharged.

In a statement, the police said that the accident occurred at around 5am while Mckend was driving motor car, PRR 4151, owned by Desa. The police said that enquiries revealed that the car was proceeding west along the southern carriageway of the road, reportedly at a fast rate of speed.

 “As the vehicle was negotiating a right turn, the driver lost control and it flipped and careened into a swamp,” the police said. McKend was taken out in an unconscious state and rushed to the Leonora Cottage Hospital where she was pronounced dead on arrival.

At the hospital yesterday, the woman’s relatives gathered in their numbers. They wept

The swampy area off the road where the car landed after Mckend reportedly lost control.

loudly and consoled each other upon learning that Mckend had died.

Andrew Mckend, the dead woman’s father told Stabroek News that as of yesterday, the family was still trying to gather details as to how the accident took place. He recalled last seeing Nkasi alive at around 10pm on Thursday after which she went out. She did not say where she was heading, he recounted.

The man said he learnt about the accident after receiving several calls. “People just asking me if I heard about the accident and I said no and then calls just keep coming in, coming in all the time this morning (yesterday) saying ‘yuh daughter died in an accident’. Then is when I know,” Andrew said.

He said he along with other relatives rushed to the hospital but by time they arrived, Nkasi was already dead.

While it remains unclear where the trio was heading at the time of the accident, Stabroek News understands that they were under the influence of alcohol since they were hanging out on Thursday evening into yesterday morning.

Beers bottles were also visible at the scene yesterday.

Investigations are ongoing.

Around the Web