T&T Chutney Soca show is back on

(Trinidad Express) Chutney Soca Monarch is back on, says Southex chief executive officer George Singh.

His decision follows a last-minute offer by Finance Minister Colm Imbert of TT$1 million towards hosting the annual Carnival event.

In a text message to the Express yesterday, Singh announced that the show will go on.

He said, “We would like to thank the Minister of Finance and by extension the Government of Trinidad and Tobago for their quick action yesterday.”

Singh said, however, the production would be scaled back. “But we are happy to know that chutney soca will still play an integral part on the culture of Carnival and of Trinidad and Tobago,” he said.

On Thursday, Singh announced that the NLCB 2018 Chutney Soca Monarch would be cancelled due to low funding by the Government.

He said funding for the event was reduced by 90 per cent and it would be difficult to host the show without Government assistance.

Singh said he found it suspicious that Government decided to pull out of the show one day before the launch at the Queens Park Oval in Port-of-Spain.

A few hours later, Imbert called a press conference to address the issue. He said the Chutney Soca Monarch would now be offered $1 million. In 2017 Southex had received $1.5 million in sponsorship from the NLCB.

Comments  

Cuba’s new president vows to defend legacy of Castro revolution

HAVANA,  (Reuters) – Cuba’s new president, Miguel Diaz-Canel, began his term yesterday with a promise to defend the socialist revolution led by the Castro brothers since 1959, giving a sober speech that also emphasized the need to modernize the island’s economy.

Jamaica pastor requests second DNA test ..after revelation he fathered child with 12-year-old girl

(Jamaica Gleaner) The Kingston pastor facing criminal charges for allegedly having sex with a 12-year-old girl and impregnating her has reportedly requested a second paternity test.

T&T gov’t suffers setback in corruption lawsuit

(Trinidad Guardian) The Government has suffered a setback in its prosecution of a corruption lawsuit against former Housing Development Corporation (HDC) officials, two State officials and two private companies over a $175 million land deal.

Under military rule, Venezuela oil workers quit in a stampede

CARACAS,  (Reuters) – Chauffeured around in a sleek black pick-up, the head of Venezuela’s oil industry, Major General Manuel Quevedo, last month toured a joint venture with U.S.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×