Trinidad: 37 Aftershocks Since Tuesday’s Magnitude 7.3 Earthquake

Carpenter Sudesh Deonarine surveys the damage to his home in Princes Town. (Photo: TRINIDAD EXPRESS / DEXTER PHILIP )

(TRINIDAD EXPRESS) The UWI’s Seismic Research Centre says that a magnitude 4.0 aftershock was felt at 6:44 a.m today.

The seismic technicians have recorded 37 aftershocks after the magnitude 6.9 event on Tuesday.

That includes the 5.9 event from Wednesday.

The Seismic Research Centre says it is monitor the activity and encouraging persons to remain calm.

Today’s tremor  was located off the north coast of Venezuela at 10.68°N and 62.98°W with a magnitude of 4.0 and depth of 70km. It was felt in south Trinidad. 

218 homes damaged by quake

Disaster Management Units for the fourteen Municipal Corporations have so far received a total of 218 reports of both major and minor structural damage to private homes.

Assessments have been completed for 146 of these reports. Disaster Management Units are continuing their assessments today to ensure citizen safety.

 
Minister Kazim Hosein, upon being briefed by Disaster Management personnel, stated “The majority of reports are minor structural damage such as wall cracks. The Corporations are making every effort to assist all the affected families, and I commend all the DMUs for being out in the field and helping those who have reported damage as quickly as possible.”

The Ministry of Rural Development and Local Government says it to monitor the situation and urges the public to continue working together with all first responders to ensure safety and restoration in their communities.

In the event of an emergency, call the 24-hour Disaster Management Hotline of the respective municipality for assistance.

Around the Web

Comments