(Trinidad Guardian) The parents of Krystiana Sankar will try again today to get her out of jail after her attorney, Larry Williams, successfully filed an application to have the terms of her bail adjusted.
Sankar, 24 and Yannis Pebbles Augustine were each granted bail to the sum $6 million on Monday after they appeared in court jointly charged with possession of marijuana and cocaine for the purpose of trafficking alongside Aruba Eligon and Jervon Cole.
The four were arrested following a $3.8 million drug bust at Apartment 1, Regent Gardens, Westmoorings, last week Tuesday. Sankar also faces charges of the unlawful possession of a gun and ammunition.
However, when Magistrate Aden Stroude granted the $6 million sum it required that the bail would be covered by one property. However, that stipulation left the women with very little option in terms of securing their freedom as they could get no one with a property of that value or higher to stand bail on their behalf.
Williams submitted a request on Wednesday to have the requirement adjusted to two properties. The request allowing for two properties to be used to secure bail was agreed to yesterday.
The T&T Guardian understands that Sankar’s parents, upon learning this, went to a Justice of the Peace shortly before 4 pm to begin the process of securing bail for their daughter.
But Williams told the T&T Guardian that despite this change Sankar is still unlikely to be released before next week. This is because the value of the properties placed would still require an assessment to ensure they cover the $6 million figure.
Augustine’s attorney, Samuel Pete Thomas, meanwhile said he too plans to submit an application for an adjustment of the bail stipulation on Monday when the four accused return to court.
Eligon was denied bail outright during Monday’s hearing, as it was found he had two previous drug offences on his record. Cole was not granted bail after the court was unable to verify his residential address. His bail application will be reconsidered pending the verification of an address he gave to the court on Monday.
Police confirmed earlier this week that the fifth person arrested in connection with the drug bust, the driver of black BMW, was released after it was found there was insufficient evidence to charge him in connection with the find.
In a release on Wednesday, the TTPS also refuted claims that the man was related to any “high ranking official.”