Forde tightlipped on investigation

Guyana Football Federation (GFF) Boss Wayne Forde, remains tight-lipped on the status of the investigation launched into the behavior of Executive Committee Member Keith O’Jeer.

Speaking at a press conference held at the federation’s Section-K Campbellville headquarters on Thursday, Forde said: “The status remains the same as was communicated the last time, it’s an ongoing investigation and when we are in a position where we can make the information available to the public we will do so.”

O’Jeer, who also holds the portfolio of Berbice Football Association (GFA) President following the entity’s December 2017 election, was suspended by the federation for inappropriate conduct.

His suspension following a meeting with the GFF Executive Committee, was revealed by Forde in an earlier interview with this publication.

Although details surrounding what led to O’Jeer’s suspension has not been revealed by the federation to date, it was disclosed by sources that the incident in question was brought to light by a prominent member of the football fraternity.

According to Forde, “I think we [GFF] have demonstrated our posture with regards to accountability and transparency sufficiently so I would encourage the members of the media to be patient, we will make information available. The federation leadership has absolutely nothing to gain from not treating the matter with the seriousness it deserves.”

Asked if he can disclose the names of the individuals tasked with overseeing the process, Forde said, “Absolutely not, I cannot do that [disclose their names]. Once we have the right because these matters are sensitive as you would imagine.”

He further added, “They have legal ramifications so once we have the final report and consult appropriately with our legal

representative, then we will know how far we can go with making the information that we have useful to the public released.”

This is the second incident of a senior GFF official being accused of misconduct and unfitting behaviour.

On February 2nd 2018, 17 male and female referees signed a three-page letter, calling for the removal of GFF Head of Referee Department Stanley Lancaster,

citing unprofessionalism and incompetence amongst other issues. At the moment, a Commission of Inquiry (COI) is ongoing in this matter.

Around the Web