Fyrish man remanded over murder of Number 70 mason

Dharmendra Shewpersaud

A Fyrish Village, Corentyne man was yesterday charged with the murder of the Number 70 mason, whose lifeless body was found a short distance away from his house on Thursday last.

The charge against Dharmendra Shewpersaud, 28, also a mason, alleged that on Thursday, January 10, he murdered Navindradat Bhawan, at Number 70 Village, Corentyne. Shewpersaud was not represented during yesterday’s hearing, which was held before Magistrate Alex Moore at the Number 51 Magistrate’s Court.

The accused was remanded to prison and is set to make his next appearance at the Springlands Magistrate’s Court, on February 21.

Navindradat Bhawan

Bhawan, also known as ‘Altaf’ and ‘Mice,’ 21, of Lot 54 Section ‘A’, Number 70 Village, Corentyne, was discovered sometime around 3 pm last Thursday, lying face down. He was foaming at the mouth and also had an injury at one side of his forehead.

However, the cause of the man’s death remains unknown since, according to a police source, the results of a post-mortem examination were inconclusive.

On Thursday evening, hours after Bhawan was pronounced dead on arrival at the Skeldon Public Hospital, police arrested two men in Fyrish Village, Corentyne. Residents claimed the men assaulted the youth a short while before his death.

The residents also alleged that earlier in the day, $5,000 was given to the deceased by a man known to him to purchase a bottle of rum and marijuana.

However, he reportedly spent the money on himself. It has been surmised that this is what led to the attack on Bhawan.

According to one resident, Bhawan was present at a shop located through the street where his body was found. The resident noted that sometime around 1 pm, he left the shop and headed to the public road.

One resident, who asked not to be named, said that while Bhawan was standing on the road, a car stopped in front of him and two men suddenly exited. The woman further claimed that one of the men assaulted Bhawan, after which both re-entered the car, which sped off. 

It is suspected that the men fled to Fyrish Village, where they were subsequently arrested. 

Shortly after, Bhawan was spotted lying on the shoulder of the road by other residents.

Around the Web