ST JOHN’S, Antigua, CMC – West Indies have named an unchanged squad for the second Test starting here Thursday, following their shock demolition of England in the opening in Bridgetown last Saturday.
Selectors have, however, confirmed Jamaican fast bowler Oshane Thomas as an official member of the squad. The 21-year-old travelled with the squad for the first Test, acting as cover for seamer Alzarri Joseph.
“Oshane Thomas was with us in Barbados as cover and he has been added to the squad as the 14th player and will remain with the team as an additional fast bowler,” chief selector Courtney Browne said yesterday.
West Indies, written off by most prior to the series, produced an astonishing display in the opening Test at Kensington Oval to embarrass favourites England by 381 runs inside four days.
The match will be remembered for England’s capitulation for 77, conceding a first innings lead of 212, and for captain Jason Holder’s monumental unbeaten 202 which enabled the Windies to set the visitors a target of 628.
Part-time off-spinner Roston Chase then conjured up a record-breaking spell of eight for 60 to send the shell-shocked English tumbling to a heavy defeat, three-quarters of an hour after tea on the fourth day.m“We were all extremely happy with the great result in the first Test,” Browne said. “We want to see them put in another solid performance in the second match in Antigua, where we won last year.”
West Indies have drawn both their Tests against England at the Vivian Richards Cricket Stadium, the last coming in a tense affair four years ago when Holder hit an unbeaten maiden hundred.
The third Test is set for the Darren Sammy Cricket Ground from February 9-13.
SQUAD – Jason Holder (captain), Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Shamarh Brooks, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Kemar Roach, Oshane Thomas, Jomel Warrican.