The planned Fast bowling Clinic organized by the Guyana Cricket Board in collaboration with the `Reds’ Perreira Sports Foundation (RPSF) which was scheduled to commence yesterday and end tomorrow has been postponed.
The Oasis Too Café will be the venue for Saturday’s staging of the Trophy Stall/Oasis Café annual Junior Chess Tournament.
Captain of the Demerara team to contest the upcoming Guyana Cricket Board (GCB)/El Dorado sponsored limited overs inter county tournament and Guyana’s latest West Indies limited overs player Leon Johnson expects his side to do well.
– led by CABA gold medallist Mandessa Moses Guyana’s female Pan-American boxing hopefuls will wing out this Sunday for neighbouring Trinidad and Tobago where they will be involved in fistic battles against Caribbean and other opponents at the women’s Pan American boxing championships.
– New cricket laws to be discussed and implemented Guyana’s lone International Cricket Council (ICC) accredited cricket umpire Clyde Duncan is in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE) as part of a four-member West Indies team taking part in the ICC annual umpires and match referees’ seminar.
Fast bowler Kawal Mangal grabbed 7-35 as newcomers Canefield Cricket Club of East Canje defeated Young and Restless of Reliance, Canje by nine wickets in the first round of the fifth annual Berbice Cricket Board of Control (BCBC)/ New Building Society (NBS) sponsored second division limited overs competition recently.
Sunburst Camptown and Beacon United Football Club will do battle tomorrow at the Camptown ground to decide which team advances to the semi-final stage of the Georgetown Football Association’s (GFA) DeSinco Trading under-18 football tournament.
Stanford 20/20 says it will not be bullied by Digicel – offered valuable sponsorship rights to which Digicel was not entitled Coolidge, Antigua – Stanford 20/20 is disappointed, though not surprised by Digicel’s latest press release of September 21 2008 relating to its dispute with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) arising from the Stanford Super Series.
Digicel continues to seek compromise solution Digicel, proud sponsor of West Indies cricket since 2004, has recently been involved in discussions and correspondence with Stanford in an effort to find a mutually acceptable resolution to the current impasse over the proposed Stanford 20/20 Series.
By Calvin Roberts A Ron Collins double (7th and 79th) guided East Coast Demerara Victoria Kings to a 4-2 victory over Corentyne All Stars in a match which brought down the curtains on the Rose Hall Town week of activities Sunday afternoon.
Led by an unbroken 71-run, unbeaten seventh-wicket partnership St. Winifred’s Secondary School recovered from 37/6 to reach 108/6 in reply to Monar Educational Institute 107 all out yesterday.
– Chantelle Fernandes is Nicolette Fernandes’ kid sister who is hoping to emulate, if not surpass her sister’s squash accomplishments in the sport of field hockey Ever wondered how it feels to have a famous sportsman or woman in your family.
Robert Hanoman came out victorious in last Saturday’s Muneshwers Ltd. sponsored Stableford Golf tournament played at the Lusignan Golf Course.
Young Warriors defeated Colombia Sports Club by 10 wickets in the Guyana Softball League (GSL) organized Memorex Enterprise 15-overs-a-side softball tournament held at the Cullen Sports Club Ground last Sunday.
Defending champion Alonzo Greaves, as expected, retained his title when he defeated a strong field to capture 35-lap event for Schoolboys and novices at the sixth annual Laparkan Holdings Limited (LHL) sponsored cycle programme organized by national cycling coach Hassan Mohammed on Saturday around the inner circuit of the National Park.
A swashbuckling century by Marc Singh piloted AINLIM /NMSL to a blowout victory over N&M Security Solutions (NMSS) winning by 127 runs in the Neal and Massy Inter-Company 20-overs-a-side tapeball cricket final played Saturday at Thirst Park ground.
Thanks to the wily efforts of John Abrahams, Old Fort ‘A’ defeated GCC ‘A’ by the golden goal in the final of the Noble House Seafoods handicap indoor hockey tournament which culminated at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall (CASH) Friday night.
Former national under-15 batsman and newly elected Demerara senior player Ravi Sarwan celebrated his selection to the Demerara Inter-County side with a fluent, unbeaten century whilst West Indies ODI left-hander Leon Johnson, scored a half century as Georgetown Cricket Club (GCC) beat the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) by 155 runs at Bourda yesterday in the opening round of the Georgetown Cricket Association /Pepsi-sponsored first division 40-overs-a-side competition.
– GFC and Alpha United also advance Manessa Primo produced another good performance for Fruta Conquerors who made their way into the semi-final stage of the Georgetown Football Association’s (GFA) DeSinco Under-18 football tournament when they defeated Thomas United 8-1 at the Tucville Playfield yesterday.
West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) chief executive Donald Peters got himself into something of a twist over the widely reported secret last week that Xavier Marshall and Tonito Willett had failed a drugs test at a Stanford 20/20 camp.
-Sarwan, Carmichael and Carew new faces in 14 man squad Guyana’s latest West Indies limited-overs player and former West Indies under-19 captain Leon Johnson has been chosen to lead defending champions Demerara in the upcoming Guyana Cricket Board (GCB)/El-Dorado-sponsored senior inter-county championships which is scheduled to commence on Friday.
A four-wicket haul from Wasim Haslim enabled Regal XI to record a four-wicket victory over Savage XI in the District of Columbia Metro Cultural Organization (DCMCO) sponsored 15-overs-a-side softball competition recently.
-defeats `Powerhouse’ Courts in second match of tapeball series Banks DIH cricketers pulled off an exciting victory over their counterparts from furniture giants Courts by five wickets in a clash of the giants in their feature 20-over tapeball cricket match Friday evening at Thirst Park ground.
Rocky XI and Country Side XI booked their places in the semi-finals of the Guyana Softball League (GSL) organized Banks DIH-15-overs-a-side softball tournament after they defeated La Jalousie Estate XI and Boom Blast XI respectively in the remaining quarter-finals at the Thirst Park ground recently.
The Georgetown Cricket Association (GCA)/Demerara Distilleries Limited (DDL) Pepsi-sponsored first division 40 overs-a-side round robin competition commences today with four first round matches following its launching at the Georgetown Cricket Club (GCC) pavilion yesterday.
The Guyana Badminton Association through its president Gowkaran Ramdhani yesterday announced that a junior squad will be sent to neighbouring Suriname to participate in that country’s Junior International Championships.
Georgetown Cricket Club’s first division player Wasim Haslim wrapped up his debut season with Scottish Premier League team Ferguslie Cricket Club by contributing to their triumph in the 2008 Scottish Cup.
Thomas United thrashed Houston to go home victorious in the Georgetown Football Association’s (GFA) Banks Beer First Division Football Competition at the Banks DIH ground, Thirst Park.
– Pele defeat Camptown Alpha “The Hammer” United enjoyed a cool stroll in the park against the Georgetown Football Club (GFC) on Tuesday evening when the Georgetown Football Association’s (GFA) Guyana Telephone and Telegraph (GT&T) Cellink Plus Premier League continued at the Tucville playfield.
– 21-man squad named Former national under-19 all rounder Devon Clements (66*) along with former West Indies middle order batsman Narsingh Deonarine (51) were the highlight of the fifth and final trial match organized by the Berbice Cricket Board of Control at the Albion Community Centre ground yesterday.
The inaugural Berbice Cricket Board of Control (BCBC)/ Demerara Bank Limited (DBL) sponsored 40-overs-a-side second division cricket competition will commence this weekend with 19 first round matches scheduled to be played.
As the Friday evening floodlights tapeball cricket series continue, local beverage giants Banks DIH will square off with furniture giants Courts in a feature 20-overs-a-side match at Thirst Park tomorrow evening.
AINLIM/NSL looking for sixth title Defending champions AINLIM/NMSL will clash with NM Security Solutions (NMSS) in the final of the Neal and Massy Inter-Company 20-over tapeball cricket competition tomorrow evening under floodlights at Thirst Park ground.
Preparations have commenced for the staging of the 19th annual Kashif and Shanghai (K&S) invitational football tournament which is set to launch on October 30 with the first match kicking off on December 17.
– training to start today According to a report, the Stanford Twenty20 Superstar Squad ofWest Indies opener Xavier Marshall has been released from the squad for no apparent reason.
An unbroken 36-run fourth wicket featuring Shameer Fazal (29*) and Dillon Fernandes (15*; 2×4) guided Solomon’s XI to a seven-wicket victory over Chattergoon’s XI in the penultimate under-17 trial match organized by the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) at the Demerara Cricket Club (DCC) ground yesterday.
National Race Walk Champion, Rudolph Mitchell in cool conditions gained his 79th consecutive local title and the Ministry of Education Dr.
Defending champion Alonzo Greaves is highly favoured to retain his title when the sixth annual Laparkan Holdings Limited (LHL) sponsored cycle programme organized by national cycling coach Hassan Mohammed pedals off around the inner circuit of the National Park on Saturday.
A mammoth total of 880 points by the Carmel team gained them the Calphays Youth Federation of Seventh Day Adventist Athletics and Cycling Championship title at the Police Sports Club ground, Eve Leary last Sunday.
Elim B and Heavenly Light A blew away their competition last weekend at the National Gymnasium in the Network Deliverance Ministry’s Inter-Church Futsal Competition.
By Eion Jardine I first met Lionel Sullivan at the New Court Yard during the weigh-in for the Denny Dalton/Howard Eastman clash.
Chattergoon’s XI defeated Solomon’s XI by three runs in the first 50 overs-a-side under-17 trial match organized by the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) and played at the Demerara Cricket Club (DCC) ground yesterday.
– Mackeson League Bakewell Buxton Stars and Victoria Kings failed to impress their fans against their respective opponents when play in the Ansa McAl Limited Mackeson Stout-sponsored East Coast Premier League football competition continued over the weekend.
-National darts champion Norman Madhoo is gearing up for a shot at this year’s World c/ships National darts champion Norman Madhoo is leaving no stone unturned in his preparation for two upcoming important engagements.
– to co-sponsor Fast Bowling Clinic Courts Guyana Inc. yesterday handed over a cheque for US$400 to the `Reds’ Perreira Sports Foundation thereby officially becoming a co-sponsor of the foundation’s upcoming fast bowling clinic.
Dear Editor, The two major Lawn Tennis Championships at Wimbledon and Flushing Meadows, was a ‘tale of two sisters.’ At Wimbledon Venus sent Serena into orbit but at Flushing Meadows, Serena ‘serena-ded’ Venus to sleep.
New Amsterdam’s Bermine Cricket Club of Zone A joined Zone B’s Albion and Port Mourant Community Centres respectively in the Berbice semi-finals of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) Neal and Massey 40 overs-a-side competition last weekend.
Alpha “the Hammer” United stamped their authority on Sunburst Camptown with a 2-0 win to capture the Alpha United 16-team Carifesta X Football final last Sunday at the National Stadium at Providence.
– Boxers say expect gold fest in IndiaPresident of the Guyana Amateur Boxing Association (GABA) Affeze Khan was all smiles yesterday afternoon after he was successful in securing in-transit United States visas for his four boxers.
Action in the Georgetown Football Association’s (GFA) Cellink Plus Premier League competition will continue tonight at the Tucville playfield from 18:00hrs (6:00pm).