– squad still facing training ground problems Several national discards have been included in the Golden Jaguars squad preparing for the 2008 Digicel Caribbean Football Championship even as the coaching staff grapples with finding appropriate venues for the squad to train.
By Kizan Brumell Six members of the 10-member Guyana Amateur Boxing Association (GABA) team for the Caribbean Amateur Boxing Association (CABA) Games to be held in Trinidad left Guyana this morning for the twin-island republic.
– at launch of Nigel’s Supermarket Junior Classic Lawn Tennis tournament With over 30 youths in attendance and some 68 expected to participate, the Nigel’s Supermarket Junior Classic Lawn Tennis tournament was launched yesterday afternoon at the Le Meriden Pegasus Hotel courts under the auspices of the Guyana Lawn Tennis Association (GLTA).
Despite there being only one month of good weather for 2008 so far as compared to four months in 2007, Chairman of the Berbice Competitions Committee and Public Relations Officer of the Berbice Cricket Board, Carl Moore, is optimistic that the major Berbice competitions will be completed in the stipulated time.
By Calvin Roberts at Yorkshire Cricket Ground, Barbados Compliments of: Smalta, Cummings Electrical, Life-time Realty, P&P In-surance, Cellular Plus and Hanes (Guyana) Limited Jamaica were large and in charge at the end of the second day of their fourth round match against defending champions Guyana in the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) TCL-sponsored 2008 regional under-19 cricket tournament at the Yorkshire Cricket Club ground, Barbados yesterday.
Canadian-based Guyanese student George Bulkan won last Saturday’s Demerara Mutual sponsored Medal Play Golf tournament played at the Lusignan Golf course.
Probably one of the most anticipated tournaments run by the Guyana Lawn Tennis Association (GLTA) the 2008 Nigel’s Supermarket Junior Classic Tennis tournament will serve off this morning at the Le Meridien Hotel courts.
By Donald Duff Manager/coach of Guyana’s nine-member team to the Caribbean Amateur Boxing Association(CABA) junior, cadet and female championships in Trinidad Carl Franklyn said yesterday he expected his small but strong team to be competitive.
Webster untouchable after first round Learie Webster jumped out ahead of the competition and into the lead in the Oasis Café Mega Chess Tournament which was held at the Oasis Too Café on South Road.
By Kizan Brumell The Guyana Lawn Tennis Association (GLTA) yesterday successfully concluded its two-week Tennis Summer Camp which was sponsored by P&P Insurance Brokers at the Le Meridien Pegasus Hotel Tennis Courts with the group matches and presentation of awards to the participants.
By Kizan Brumell A flurry of punches is set to be launched today when the Guyana Amateur Boxing Association’s (GABA) Open national championships get underway at the National Gymnasium, Mandela Avenue.
The National Legacy Run, organized by the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport/National Sports Commission in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and PAHO/WHO will take place this morning.
By Calvin Roberts @ Yorkshire Cricket Ground, Barbados Compliments of: Smalta, Cummings Electrical, Lifetime Realty, P&P Insurance, Cellular Plus and Hanes (Guyana) Limited A belligerent century from captain Andre Creary (118) coupled with superb assistance from wicket keeper Maverick Perry (80) enabled Jamaica to hold the trump against Guyana at the end of the first day of their fourth round match of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB)/TCL-sponsored 2008 regional under-19 tournament at the Yorkshire Cricket ground yesterday.
By Kiev Chesney President of the Athletic Association of Guyana (AAG) Claude Blackmore said yesterday he had been reliably informed that Guyana was the only country in the Caribbean where associations had to stand the cost for officials to attend the 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games which will take place in Pune, India in October.
Team Guyana looking for clean sweep Team Guyana will be looking to complete a clean sweep of the 2008 CASA Caribbean Junior Squash Championships after the girls and boys’ teams advanced to today’s finals where they are scheduled to meet Bermuda teams.
-Blackmore By Kiev Chesney President of the Athletics Association of Guyana (AAG) said yesterday that Alika Morgan, the country’s premier middle and long distance athlete was their number one choice for the World Junior Championships which was held last week in Poland.
By Calvin Roberts in Barbados Compliments of Ansa McAl Limited, Cummings Electrical, Lifetime Realty, P&P Insurance, Cellular Plus and Hanes (Guyana) Limited With the weather looking to threaten the outcome of the West Indies Cricket board (WICB)/TCL-sponsored 2008 Regional Under-19 tournament, defending champions Guyana will be looking to stay on top of their points standing when they face Jamaica in their fourth round match beginning from today at the Yorkshire Cricket Ground, St.
-Adonis Coach of the Guyana national under-19 rugby team which placed third at the recent North America and West Indies Rugby Association junior World Trophy qualifying tournament Laurie Adonis feels the team did not have an adequate amount of time to prepare for the tournament.
Veteran public relations practitioner and sports administrator John Emanuel Nestor (M.S). a former employee of Banks DIH Ltd., passed away yesterday, a release from the company stated.
The Guyana JKA will be holding Grading/Examination today from 9:00hrs at the Guyana National Gymnasium on Madela Avenue.
– no flights out, poor support leave 20 CUT games hopefuls disappointed at last minute By Kiev Chesney Yesterday afternoon 20 athletes decked out in their Guyana track suits posed for a Stabroek Sport picture depicting the team to represent Guyana at the 2008 Caribbean Union of Teacher’s (CUT) Championships in Tortola, British Virgin Islands (BVI).
By Calvin Roberts in Barbados Compliments of Ansa McAl Limited, Cummings Electrical, Lifetime Realty, P&P Insurance, Cellular Plus and Hanes (Guyana) Limited Manager of the Guyana TCL under-19 team Alvin Johnson is pleased with the team’s performance to date.
– for third Digicel Caribbean Cup Following their early exit from the 2010 World Cup football campaign Guyana’s national footballers the Golden Jaguars will be looking to make amends in the third Digicel Caribbean Championships billed to kick off next weekend.
The Guyana Amateur Body Building and Fitness Federation (GABBFF) will be embarking on an outreach programme ahead of its senior championships set for August 10.
– Guyana successful after first night of team event The Guyana boys’ team shut-out Jamaica 5-0 and stopped the (OECS) Organization of Eastern Caribbean States 3-2 while the girls’ team dominated Barbados 4-1 on the opening night of the team event at CASA Caribbean Junior Squash Championships in Bermuda Wednesday night.