APNU leadership council says gov’t has not honoured Linden pledges

The leadership council of A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) met yesterday and said that the government has failed to honour any of the promises it made on August 21 with the Region Ten administration to end a power tariff shutdown of the region.

Prime among the promises were a review of power tariffs, access to a television transmitter that had been assigned to the region and a review of the economic prospects of the region. None of these commitments have moved substantially but the government has cited various reasons including the resignation of the chairman of one of the committees and a difference of interpretation over the television transmitter.

The private sector and other groups have urged that both sides stick to their commitments.

The APNU council meeting (APNU photo)
The APNU council meeting (APNU photo)

The siege in Linden followed the killing on July 18 of three Linden protesters and paralysed the region and surrounding areas for around a month. A separate commission of inquiry has almost finished its work on the killing of the three protesters.

The APNU statement issued today follows:

“A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) held its monthly leadership council meeting yesterday, Thursday 17th January 2013 at the Office of the Leader of the Opposition, 16 Hadfield Street Georgetown. At Thursday’s statutory meeting, the Partnership discussed matters pertaining to the impasse between The Upper Demerara-Berbice Region (Region 10) and the government of Guyana. The government has so far failed to honoured any of its promises pertaining to a signed agreement on August 21st 2013 between the representatives of that Region and the Ramotar administration.

“APNU leadership council also discussed its current legislative agenda, local government elections and several other current issues.

The APNU leadership council is comprised of representatives of the 10 groups that make up the partnership. The leadership council’s next meeting is scheduled for February.”

More in Local News

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. The medical school sign on the Buddy’s building

    Buddy’s Pool Hall, Night Club closed after business falls

  2. Barry Dataram

    Who is to blame for Dataram escape?

  3. Lakeram Kewlachand

    Gangaram man takes his own life

  4. Wayne Isaacs (New York Post photograph)

    Guyanese-born cop charged with killing unarmed civilian in NY

  5. The Rio Inn at Forshaw and Oronoque Streets

    Teen shot dead outside Rio nightclub

  6. Courtenay Griffith’s home in Lodge that is earmarked to be demolished.

    City to tear down 52 derelict buildings

  7. Barry Dataram

    Absent Barry Dataram found guilty of drug trafficking

  8. The bus in the trench along Homestretch Avenue.

    Bus ends up in Homestretch trench

  9. Ryan Sergeant

    Youth killed, friend wounded after nightclub shooting


Recommended For You