Terms of Service
Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the web site, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by Stabroek News, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms. The Website is available only to individuals who are at least 13 years old.
Subscriber Access Services.
Premium Subscriber services are available on the Website. By selecting a premium service you agree to pay Stabroek News the weekly, monthly or annual subscription fees indicated for that service. Payments will be charged on the day you sign up for a premium service and will cover the use of that service for a weekly, monthly or annual period as indicated. Premium Subscription fees are not refundable.
- Your Account. If you subscribe to the Website, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with the account. You must immediately notify Stabroek News of any unauthorized uses of your account or any other breaches of security.
- Fees; Payment. By signing up for a Subscriber account you agree to pay Stabroek News the subscription charges indicated at http://www.stabroeknews.com/subscribers/register/ in exchange for the services indicated. Applicable fees will be invoiced starting from the day your Subscriber account is established and in advance of using such services. Stabroek News reserves the right to change the payment terms and fees upon thirty (30) days prior written notice to you. Subscription services can be canceled by you at anytime on 30 days written notice to Stabroek News.
- Renewal. Your subscription will renew automatically, unless we terminate it or you notify us by e-mail (receipt of which must be confirmed by email reply from us) of your decision to terminate your subscription. For annual subscriptions, we will notify you of the pending renewal of your subscription at least 30 days prior to the date your subscription renews, except as otherwise required by law. You must cancel your subscription before it renews in order to avoid billing of subscription fees for the renewal term to your credit card or payment method.
- Support. Subscriber Access includes access to priority email support. “Email support” means the ability to make requests for technical support assistance by email at any time (with reasonable efforts by Stabroek News to respond within one business day) concerning the use of Subscriber Access. “Priority” means that support for Subscriber Access customers takes priority over support for users of the standard website.
- Limitations Of Use.
- Only one individual may access the Service at the same time using the same user name or password, unless we agree otherwise.
- The text, graphics, images, video, metadata, design, organization, compilation, look and feel, advertising and all other protectable intellectual property (the “Content”) available through the Services are our property or the property of our advertisers and licensors and are protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws. Unless you have our written consent, you may not sell, publish, distribute, retransmit or otherwise provide access to the Content received through the Services to anyone, including, if applicable, your fellow students or employees, with the following exceptions:
- You may occasionally distribute a copy of an article, or a portion of an article, from the Service in non-electronic form to a few individuals without charge, provided you include all copyright and other proprietary rights notices in the same form in which the notices appear in the Service.
- You may occasionally use our “E-mail This” service to e-mail an article from the Service to a few individuals, without charge. You are not permitted to use this service for the purpose of regularly providing other users with access to content from a Service.
- While you may download, store and create an archive of articles from the Service for your personal use, you may not otherwise provide access to such an archive to more than a few individuals on an occasional basis. The foregoing does not apply to any sharing functionality we provide through the Service that expressly allows you to share articles or links to articles with others. In addition, you may not use such an archive to develop or operate an automated trading system or for data or text mining.
- You agree not to rearrange or modify the Content. You agree not to create abstracts from, scrape or display our content for use on another web site or service (other than headlines from our RSS Feed with active links back to the full article on the Service). You agree not to post any content from the Services (other than headlines from our RSS Feed with active links back to the full article on the Service) to weblogs, newsgroups, mail lists or electronic bulletin boards, without our written consent.
- You agree not to use the Services for any unlawful purpose. We reserve the right to terminate or restrict your access to a Service if, in our opinion, your use of the Service may violate any laws, regulations or rulings, infringe upon another person’s rights or violate the terms of this Agreement. Also, we may refuse to grant you a user name that impersonates someone else, is protected by trademark or other proprietary right law, or is vulgar or otherwise offensive.
- Responsibility of Contributors. If you comment on an article or post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
- the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
- if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
- you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
- the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
- the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, or to further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
- the Content is not pornographic, does not contain threats or incite violence towards individuals or entities, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
By submitting Content to Stabroek News for inclusion on our Website, you grant Stabroek News a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content for any purpose.
Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, Stabroek News has the right (though not the obligation) to, in Stabroek News’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in Stabroek News’s reasonable opinion, violates any Stabroek News policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in Stabroek News’s sole discretion. Stabroek will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.
- Responsibility of Website Visitors. Stabroek News cannot review, all of the content posted to the Website by Website Visitors, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, Stabroek News does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. Stabroek News disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.
- Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which StabroekNews.com links, and that link to StabroekNews.com. Stabroek News does not have any control over those non-Stabroek News websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-Stabroek News website or webpage, Stabroek News does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. Stabroek News disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-Stabroek News websites and webpages.
- Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As Stabroek News asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by StabroekNews.com violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify Stabroek News. Stabroek News will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. In the case of a visitor who may infringe or repeatedly infringes the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of Stabroek News or others, Stabroek News may, in its discretion, terminate or deny access to and use of the Website. In the case of such termination, Stabroek News will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to Stabroek News.
- Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer from Stabroek News to you any Stabroek News or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with Stabroek News. Stabroek News, StabroekNews.com the StabroekNews.com logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with Stabroek News, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of Stabroek News. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any Stabroek News or third-party trademarks.
- Changes. Stabroek News reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any part of this Agreement. It is your responsibility to check this Agreement periodically for changes. Your continued use of or access to the Website following the posting of any changes to this Agreement constitutes acceptance of those changes. Stabroek News may also, in the future, offer new services and/or features through the Website (including, the release of new tools and resources). Such new features and/or services shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
- Termination. Stabroek News may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your Stabroek News Subscriber account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using the Website. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you have a Subscriber account, such account can only be terminated by Stabroek News if you materially breach this Agreement and fail to cure such breach within thirty (30) days from Stabroek News’s notice to you thereof; provided that, Stabroek News can terminate the Website immediately as part of a general shut down of our service. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
- Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website is provided “as is”. Stabroek News and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Neither Stabroek News nor its suppliers and licensors, makes any warranty that the Website will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.
- Limitation of Liability. In no event will Stabroek News, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement or substitute products or services; (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; or (iv) for any amounts that exceed the fees paid by you to Stabroek News under this agreement during the twelve (12) month period prior to the cause of action. Stabroek News shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
- Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Stabroek News, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.
- Miscellaneous. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Stabroek News and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by the posting by Stabroek News of a revised version. Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, this Agreement, any access to or use of the Website will be governed by the laws of the country of Guyana. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; Stabroek News may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.