Coalition to build its own 1823 monument – Nigel Hughes

Following an outcry over the monument site for the 1823 slave rebellion, the Coalition of the 1823 Parade Ground Monument will raise funds to construct their own memorial.

This was confirmed by attorney Nigel Hughes today and he said that the group will shortly outline their plans, publish their criteria for the design and establish a trust fund. The group today participated in ‘An afternoon of reflection and knowledge-sharing’ at the Parade Ground.

Currently, the base for a government-funded monument is being developed at a cost of $26M opposite Camp Ayanganna in the vicinity of Carifesta Avenue and Vlissengen Road. However, its construction has sparked opposition as Afro-Guyanese groups expected the monument to be erected at Parade Ground, which was the location where some of slaves who participated in the uprising were hanged.

The protesting groups, including the African Cultural and Development Association (ACDA), which have led picketing exercises against the Culture Ministry as a result of the situation, have said that former President Bharrat Jagdeo had made a commitment to erect the monument at Parade Ground during a sod turning exercise held there in 2000. Other civic-minded groups and persons have also written letters to the media in protest.

However, the Government Information Agency (GINA) reported that sculptor Ivor Thom, who designed the 1823 slave rebellion monument, said at a news conference on Thursday that the site being developed by government for its mounting meets the selection criteria. Thom was reported as saying that an inquiry at the archives revealed that former President Jagdeo did turn the sod at Parade Ground for an “Emancipation Monument,” not for the 1823 monument.

On August 2, 2000, Stabroek News had reported that Jagdeo had turned the sod for an “Emancipation Monument,” although it was also reported around the same time that the monument was being erected in memory of those who died in the 1823 uprising.

Culture Minister Dr Frank Anthony has defended the decision to erect the monument along Carifesta Avenue, saying that the “prominent” site was chosen after an invitation for the public’s input yielded no responses.

Last week, ACDA, the All African Guyanese Council, the Pan-African Movement, the African Welfare Council, the Guyana Institute of Historical Research, and the People’s Parliament announced the formation of a coalition to establish the 1823 monument in its rightful place, dubbing the planned location disrespectful to African ancestors.

They said that the monument is being disconnected from the site of insurrection without realistic consultation from the Guyanese society and the African groups.

 

Comments  

GPL’s Parika centre robbed by armed bandits

The Guyana Power and Light (GPL) says that just after midday today, three armed bandits stormed its Parika Customer Service Centre; robbing the location of all revenues received up until that time, holding the  staff and customers at gun point and disarming a security guard of a gun.

Temporary arrivals terminal at CJIA

The Management of Cheddi Jagan International Airport Corporation (CJIAC) is currently undertaking a massive expansion project  and a Temporary Arrivals Terminal Building was recently constructed.

T&T tourism development company dissolved, 111 lose jobs

Tourism Minister Shamfa Cudjoe announced the decision to close the company. (Trinidad Express) The Tourism Development Company (TDC) has ceased operations.

WPA expresses concern over garbage arrangements

Cevons clearing city garbage WPA STATEMENT ON THE UNRESOLVED ISSUE OF GARBAGE COLLECTION IN THE GEORGETOWN MUNICIPALITY The WPA is deeply concerned that the Georgetown City Council’s inability to honour its financial obligations to Cevons Waste Management and Puran Brothers has the potential of endangering the health and lives of citizens.

UK hoped for more progress on constitutional reform – Quinn

British High Commissioner to Guyana Greg  Quinn  yesterday said that it was hoped that more would have been done to push the constitutional reform process forward.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×