PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC – West Indies first choice wicketkeeper/batsman Denesh Ramdin has claimed in a Twitter rant that he has been sacked from the Test squad for the upcoming four-match series against India.
In a series of tweets on the popular online social networking service on Tuesday, the Trinidadian gloveman informed his followers he would not be a part of the series after the “new chairman” of selectors told him his average was not good enough.
Former Barbados captain and West Indies wicketkeeper, Courtney Browne, last month took over chairmanship of the selection panel from legendary former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd.
While not referencing Browne by name, Ramdin tweeted his apparent anger over the decision, pointing out that his last two innings on last year’s tour of Australia resulting in half-centuries.
“Last 2 innings over 60 vs Australia down under but not good enough to play anymore,” the 31-year-old said.
Ramdin averages 25 from 74 Tests with four hundreds, the last coming 2-1/2 years ago against New Zealand in Hamilton.
The right-hander has struggled with the bat in his last 11 Tests over a 12-month period, averaging just 22 but showed signs of form in his last two innings on the tour of Australia, gathering 59 in Melbourne last December and 62 in Sydney last January.
Runs aside, Ramdin has taken 212 catches and effected 12 stumpings.
The West Indies Cricket Board are yet to announce a squad for the series set to run from July 21 to August 22.