T&T nationals to be airlifted off hurricane-stricken St Maarten, BVI

Hurricane damage in St Maarten.

(Trinidad Express) Government says it’s working to evacuate Trinidad and Tobago nationals from St Maarten and the British Virgin Islands (BVI).

In a statement issued by the Office of the Prime Minister shortly after noon today, the Government in conjunction with the Government of Antigua and Barbuda and the T&T  National Helicopter Services Limited has made arrangements to attempt to air lift T&T nationals, who have provided their information, from St Maarten today.

“It is envisaged that we will airlift our identified nationals from St Maarten to Antigua during the course of  today” the Office of the Prime Minister stated.

The airlift mission has come too late for a Trinidadian couple who were trapped on the island of St Marten since the passage of Hurricane Irma last week. They have boarded a rescue cruise liner.

They are other nationals trapped on the island on Tortola in the BVI.

An official request is being made to the British Government for assistance with respect to the evacuation of our nationals in the BVI” the Office of the Prime Minister stated.

The Ministry of Foreign and CARICOM Affairs hotline is 868-715-2154.

 

 

Comments  

U.S. set to lose top spot as global corn exporter to Brazil

CHICAGO,  (Reuters) – Brazil could eclipse the United States as the world’s top exporter of corn within five years, ending decades of U.S.

Brazil army ordered to take over security in violent Rio de Janeiro

RIO DE JANEIRO,  (Reuters) – Brazil’s federal government yesterday ordered the army to take over command of police forces in Rio de Janeiro state in a bid to curb violence driven by drug gangs, who have “virtually taken over” Rio’s metropolitan area of 12 million people, President Michel Temer said in announcing the decree.

Head of OAS anti-corruption mission in Honduras resigns

MEXICO CITY, (Reuters) – The head of the Organization of American States’ anti-corruption mission in Honduras said on Thursday he would resign over a lack of support from authorities in the Central American country and clashes with OAS leadership.

Billionaire businessman Mendoza rules out Venezuela election run – sources

VALENCIA, Venezuela/ CARACAS  (Reuters) – Billionaire businessman Lorenzo Mendoza has ruled out challenging Venezuela’s leftist President Nicolas Maduro in the upcoming election despite multiple calls for him to stand, sources from his company’s workforce said yesterday.

“Do you fear me?”: Venezuela’s Maduro vows to gatecrash regional summit

CARACAS, (Reuters) – Venezuela’s unpopular socialist president Nicolas Maduro said yesterday his right-wing Latin American counterparts showed intolerance by trying to exclude him from an upcoming summit in Lima – and he vowed to go anyway.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×