Data on impact of budget cuts to be presented to opposition

- Luncheon

The government is in the process of determining the impact the budget cuts would have and would then present this information to the opposition to prove that its claims that many workers would be placed on the breadline are not mere “idle speculations.”

Cabinet Secretary Dr Roger Luncheon yesterday told reporters that once the cuts remain, on May 8 the Ministry of Finance will close the books for wages and salaries for this month.

He pointed out that the appropriations for Cabinet, the Defence Board, the presidential secretariat, the press and publicity office and the protocol office have all been reduced to one dollar.

Funds for the National Communication Network (NCN) and the Government Information Agency (GINA) were also reduced to a dollar.

“It kinda makes the case for me… that these individuals are on the breadline. I can’t imagine that there will be another interpretation,” Luncheon said.

He said, efforts are being made by the government to have a temporary or a comprehensive resolution on the matter, but “the clock is ticking.

“So I don’t believe that there is any exaggeration… There are those who have made the cuts those who have made it possible for this situation to develop and now in a very ingenious way are suggesting that it really is not going to happen…,” Luncheon said.

He said there have been no talks between the government and the opposition on the reversal of the cuts. Rather, what is being done is the government determining the impact of the cuts and what the shortfall is.

He said 122 contract workers from Office of President are at risk of being placed on the breadline. He said each of the affected agencies is compiling the information which would be presented to the opposition.

He said that would tell the opposition that the government was not making “idle speculations.”

The combined opposition–APNU and AFC–used its majority of one seat in the National Assembly to cut $21 billion from the $192 billion proposed expenditure for this year, with the bulk of that–$18 billion—coming from the Low Carbon Development Strategy (LCDS).

More in Local News

default placeholder

Lightning suspected in power outage -GPL

At approximately 20:56 hours last evening, the Guyana Power and Light says a line trip along two Kingston feeders (F3 and F4) resulted in an interruption in the supply of electricity to customers in Kingston, Cummingsburg, Albertown, Lacytown and Werk-en-Rust.

Bharrat Jagdeo

Jagdeo stands by NY statements

Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo last night stood by statements he had made in New York about discrimination against Indo-Guyanese which the APNU+AFC government has described as race-baiting.

City Hall

Despite higher revenue, city still faces deficit

City Hall amassed a whopping $1.29 billion in revenue for the first six months of the year but continues to operate at a deficit and some city councillors are frustrated at their inability to access detailed information on the city’s expenditure.

Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo addressing the audience 
 

Gov’t condemns Jagdeo for race baiting

The Government of Guyana (GoG) yesterday condemned Leader of the Opposition Bharrat Jagdeo for “race baiting,” after he claimed that there is “an assault on people of Indian origin” during a speech at an event in New York recently.

Commander of ‘B’ Division Ian Amsterdam (second, right) meeting with Pawan Chandradeo’s wife and children

City detectives to assist in Berbice triple murder probe

The police are continuing to work all angles and a number of theories in order to solve last week’s triple murder at Mibicuri, Black Bush Polder and Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum said yesterday that a team from the force’s Major Crimes Unit (MCU) was expected to head to the area to lend assistance in the investigation.

default placeholder

Appointment of new foreign envoys based on merit, not patronage – Granger

The appointment of new foreign mission heads was based on merit and was not a form of reward, President David Granger said last evening even as he called on them to put the border controversy with Venezuela on the front burner.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: