A 39-year-old security guard was electrocuted around 6 am yesterday at Ogle Street, Triumph, East Coast Demerara (ECD), after he came into contact with an illegal electrical wire.
Selwyn Abrahms of Republic Drive, Beterwerwagting, ECD died on the spot after he was pitched into a nearby drain by the current from the live wire. Burn marks were evident around his neck as the wire became tangled around it his relatives added. An illegal connection leading to a nearby house was discovered by Guyana Power and Light (GPL) officials who were called to the scene. The occupants of that house removed from the premises after the incident.
Abrahm’s sister, Rhonda Abrahms, told this newspaper that she was about to do some washing when her nephew came and told her that her brother was electrocuted. She said her brother had left his home and was heading to his boss’s home with a friend to inquire about work when he came into contact with the electrical wire.
She said, “a fine wire was across the road hanging and when he was going to his boss lady to find out what time he gah go to work he stumble on the wire and it just lash he in the drain.’’ Abrahms friend, who was with him, tried to pull him from the wire but he too was shocked by the current, and forced him to lose him. The man’s sister said the electrical wire was very fine and was hanging very low so it was impossible for her brother to have seen it while he was walking. She also stated that her brother would have celebrated his 40th birthday on the 21st of this month.