Suspect charged over $6M Bounty cash transport stick-up

Omika Gomes, accused of being one of the three men who robbed a Bounty Meat Centre security officer of $6M in cash during an ambush on Tuesday night, was yesterday remanded to prison.

Gomes appeared before Magistrate Leron Daly at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court on two armed robbery charges stemming from the attack, which occurred on Tuesday.

The court was told that Gomes, being armed with a gun, robbed Vibert Da Silva of $6,345,000, which was the property of John Fernandes. It was further alleged that Gomes also robbed Da Silva of a gold ring, a .32 pistol with two magazines with matching ammunition and a car, all valued at $2,200,000 in total.

No further details were given to the court.

The prosecution objected to bail given the serious nature of the allegations and Gomes was denied his pre-trial liberty and the case was adjourned until January 10, 2013 for reports and fixtures.

Police had said the attack occurred at about 6:50pm along Robb Street, Georgetown, when Da Silva, 61, was confronted by the men, who used a push cart to block the path of his car, and then held him at gunpoint.

The men then took away the cash, a .32 semi automatic Beretta pistol with matching ammunition and escaped in his car, which was later found abandoned at Stone Avenue, Campbellville.

More in Local News


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. Convicted drug trafficker Barry Dataram about to be handed over to local enforcement officials by the Suriname police. Inset is the information page in the fake passport for “David Persaud” that was being used by the fugitive. (Royston Drakes photos)

    Dataram, wife returned to Guyana

  2. Back in court: In this Keno George composite photo, Barry Dataram (left) and his wife Anjanie Boodnarine at court yesterday to answer three charges including fleeing the jurisdiction.

    Dataram to serve eight years in jail after guilty plea to new charges

  3. Yansen Brusche

    Ulverston mom of four stabbed to death by children’s father

  4. Ameer Subrati

    Man dies after bandits target overseas-based couple at Herstelling

  5. US Ambassador Perry Holloway and Finance Minister Winston Jordan shake hands after the signing of the agreement yesterday.

    Guyana inks pact for reporting to IRS on holdings of US citizens

  6. Updated: Man dies after bandits attack overseas-based Guyanese at Herstelling

  7. Barry Dataram

    Datarams getaway passports had been issued to other people

  8. Dr. Prudence Lewis-Bhola

    Prudence Lewis-Bhola appointed as CEO of broadcasting authority

  9. Bharrat Jagdeo

    Crime has never been this bad – Jagdeo

Recommended For You