Key change to sex crimes law passed unanimously

The National Assembly last night passed the Sexual Offences (Amendment) Bill which saw the support of the entire House as the Administration moved to correct what is being called an oversight on the part of the persons who were involved in the passage of the landmark principal 2010 Act.

The government in August last year tabled the Sexual Offences (Amendment) Bill 2012 aimed at according to the accused the same rights as the prosecution with regard to submission of statements for paper committals. The Bill when passed into law would also allow for statements written on behalf of a child to carry a mark made by that child if he or she is unable to sign his or her name.

Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly, Deborah Backer serving as Speaker at yesterday’s session in the absence of Raphael Trotman. (Arian Browne photo)
Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly, Deborah Backer serving as Speaker at yesterday’s session in the absence of Raphael Trotman. (Arian Browne photo)

Clause 4 of the Bill seeks to amend the Schedule of the Principal Act to give the accused the right to lead evidence or submit written statements and it would be prejudicial to the accused if the accused does not have this right in the paper committal process.

The Bill said that there is now a level playing field as regards submission of evidence by the prosecutor and the accused.

Clause 5 of the Bill seeks to provide that the new committal procedure applies to legal proceedings pending the commencement of the Act and the legal proceedings instituted on or after the commencement of the Act.

The need for the new piece of legislation became apparent when acting Chief Justice Ian Chang made a ruling citing the unconstitutionality of the Sexual Offences Act in its extant form.

Speaking on the Bill yesterday, Attorney General Anil Nandlall spoke of the need for the Bill to be passed post-haste since cases are being held up. He said that the Director of Public Prosecutions was not proceeding with cases involving rape until the amendment was passed and as a result there is a build up in the courts of such cases.

The Chief Justice had said in his ruling that several sections of the Sexual Offences Act are unconstitutional in as much as they did not accord to the accused person certain facilities which are guaranteed to an accused person in a criminal trial by the fundamental rights provision of the Constitution.

“We could have appealed the Chief Justice’s ruling…but we made a choice to amend the legislation rather than appealing and keeping it in the system for a long time,” said Nandlall.

Speaking on the Bill, MP Basil Williams of the APNU declared his party’s support for the Bill. “We believe the amendment is just and we have no difficulty supporting it,” he said. Minister of Human Services and Social Security Jennifer Webster said that the Bill will ensure that Guyana’s laws are in line with legal and international guidelines. She rejected the criticisms that there had been no consultations on the Bill and said that it is a very critical amendment to the Sexual Offences Act of 2010.

Speaking on the Bill, Leader of the Alliance For Change (AFC) Khemraj Ramjattan said that the Bill has the fullest support of his party. “It was an oversight on the part of parliamentarians that makes the Bill necessary,” he pointed out.

Prior to the passage of this Bill, the Government and the Opposition engaged in an almost two and a half hour debate on a Motion on the 40th anniversary of Guyana’s establishing of diplomatic relations with Cuba.

The next sitting of the National Assembly will take place on Thursday December 10, 2013.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Resource ambassadors raise $14.5m for UG

Education resource ambassadors from various parts of the world who were recently here for a conference on improving UG have raised $14.5m for the university.

default placeholder

Northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue closed to traffic

The northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue has been closed to traffic. This is to facilitate ongoing improvement and lighting works to the thoroughfare.

The newly appointed Deputy Commissioner General Hema Khan (left) with Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas. She was introduced during a press conference held yesterday.

GRA sacks heads of Customs, HR

Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas yesterday announced a major shake-up in the management of the tax body, including the removal of the heads of its Customs and Human Resources divisions for unsatisfactory performance and the appointment of a Deputy Commissioner-General.

European Union Ambassador Jernej Videtič (left) hands over the Coastal Engineering Design Manual for Guyana Sea and River Defences to Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson. (Ministry of Public Infrastructure photo)

$2B in EU funding for sea defences

While urging the swift operationalisation of the Public Procurement Commission (PPC), European Union (EU) Representative to Guyana Ambassador Jernej Videtič yesterday handed over a $2 billion cheque to Minister of Finance Winston Jordan to aid in improving the country’s sea and river defences.

Members of the City Constabulary in their ceremonial dress march along Regent Street yesterday prior to the arrival of the President. (Photo by Keno George)

Put citizens first

With the controversial parking meter contract instigating fractures within the Mayor and City Council (M&CC), President David Granger yesterday reminded city councillors that they are accountable to the citizens who voted them into office.

Injuried: Dhaniram Tribeni

Canal Number One businessman beaten, shot in home invasion

A Canal Number One businessman is now injured after he was beaten and shot early yesterday morning when armed bandits invaded his home and escaped with a quantity cash and jewellery.

default placeholder

City councillor accused of invading Town Clerk’s privacy

A city councillor has been accused of invading the privacy of Town Clerk Royston King and his family after contacting one of King’s daughters about the controversial trip he made to Mexico with the Mayor and other council members.

default placeholder

Chainsaw operator, 16, charged over rape of 10-yr-old

A 16-year-old chainsaw operator was yesterday charged with the rape of a child under the age of 16 years old and later released into the custody of his parents.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: