Bandits pose as bikers, rob Mon Repos jewellers of $$$ millions

A Mon Repos Market jeweller was yesterday afternoon robbed of millions of dollars in gold and diamond jewellery when a pair of armed male bandits  pretending to be customers fired rounds into the air and carted off the loot.

Eyewitness told Stabroek News that around 4 pm yesterday the two men, dressed as bikers, entered the market through the main gate which faces the East Coast Demerara Public Road and swiftly moved to Vijay’s Jewellery Stall, owned by the Tulchand brothers. One there, they fired rounds into the air. At the time only Bissoon Tulchand was in the establishment attending to a female customer.

The gunshots caused persons in the market to scatter and the two gunmen were able to swiftly execute the robbery and make good their escape without arousing suspicion on the outside.

“Dey come in wid helmet on dey head and wid gloves and suh like dey riding bike and gone straight fuh Vijay… Dey fire some rounds and everybady who ain’t run way start fuh lie down pun a market ground,” said an eyewitness.

A relative of the robbed man said she believed the female who was being tended to at the time was a decoy sent to scour the area. She said she felt this way because it was as the woman was asking about piercing her ears that she began messaging on her phone. It was shortly after that the men arrived and carried out the act.

It is unclear through which exit the men made good their escape, since, frightened by the firing of the gun, persons did not pursue them.

No one was injured and a definitive amount of the losses could not be given, but according to the relative “millions of dollars” in jewellery were stolen as the bandits made off with the most expensive pieces in the stall.

There are no security cameras at the stall or others nearby and this newspaper was told that this was not the first time it was robbed.

Up to press time no one was arrested in connection with the robbery.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Grade Six results to be released Tuesday

The Ministry of Education today said that results of the National Grade Six Assessment –NGSA will be released on Tuesday, July 5, 2016.

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

default placeholder

Man arrested over ISIS bomb threat at city bank

A man was yesterday morning arrested after he entered a city bank and demanded $10M under the name of Islamic State (ISIS) before threatening to explode a bomb that he claimed he had on him.

default placeholder

‘What’s in the cup, stays in the cup’

People’s Progressive Party (PPP) General Secretary Clement Rohee says “What’s in the cup stays in the cup,” in response to a question on whether the matter involving PPP/C Member of Parliament (MP), Nigel Dharamlall over threats he allegedly made, has been explained to the party’s satisfaction.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: