Chinese wood processing company advertises for 700 workers

Chinese wood processing company Bai Shan Lin Forest Development Inc which is looking to move ahead on its large-scale industrial plans has advertised for 700 Guyanese workers.

The company’s planned projects include a trade park at Providence, East Bank Demerara.

In advertisements in the media, Bai Shan Lin said that it had vacancies for 220 factory construction workers, 80 skilled chain-saw operators, 80 semi-skilled chain-saw operators, 30 bulldozer operators, 35 loading truck drivers, 60 dump truck drivers, two excavator and grader operators, 60 logging truck drivers, 20 container truck drivers, 10 mechanics, 10 servicemen, 13 cooks and 80 inventory clerks.

The Bai Shan Lin Forest Development Inc team with President Donald Ramotar (third from right) and Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment Robert Persaud (left) (GINA photo)
The Bai Shan Lin Forest Development Inc team with President Donald Ramotar (third from right) and Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment Robert Persaud (left) (GINA photo)

Those interested are asked to contact the Human Resources and Development Department on 222-1308 as of January 14, 2013. The company’s address is 9 Shamrock Gardens, Ogle.

In the advertisement, the company said “In order to ensure and accommodate the timely commencement and completion of these projects, meet the demands of the company and to fulfill our promise to utilize (a) local workforce, hence assisting Guyanese people with employment, at present management is in need of approximately 700 Guyanese workers”.

Whenze Chu, Chairman of the China Forest Industry Group Company Ltd, the parent company of Bai Shan Lin Forest Development Inc., on January 9, 2013 met President Donald Ramotar and Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment Robert Persaud at the Office of the President.

According to a Government Information Agency (GINA) report, the park, which will occupy five square kilometres and would be divided in three construction phases, will promote production of various kinds of wood products and brands “that will boost the development of the local economy, and create employment opportunities.”

It said that while wood processing will be the main feature, the park will also encompass industries for ship building, woodworking, machinery, processing and manufacturing, food and aquatic processing, mining, a school and hospital.

“Construction of an international mall and an exhibition centre to showcase finished products manufactured at the Bai Shan Lin plant in Linden and other entrepreneurship ventures are also on the cards,” the GINA bulletin said.

China Forest Industry Group Company Ltd is the parent company for several operations across Guyana, including Haimorakabra Logging, Karlam South America Timbers, Wood Associated Industries, Kwebanna Wood Productions, Sherwood Forests, Bai Shan Lin Housing, Construction, Mining development Inc., and Bai Shan Lin Shipbuilding and Heavy Industries Inc.

GINA said that Chairman Whenze Chu has a 40-year involvement in the timber industry and has accumulated rich experience in this field. It said that in November last year he signed off on a loan with the Chinese Development Bank for the forestry project in Guyana in the presence of Guyana’s Ambassador to China Dr. David Dabydeen.

It further noted that the Building Expo hosted here last year created avenues for several local investors and businesses to enter the housing market, and that foreign companies from Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, China and the United Kingdom have expressed interest.

It said that one such company was the Suriname-based China Dalian Investment Corporation Holding (CDICH) Ltd Company. The company engaged in talks with the Ministry of Housing and Water in November last year on potential investment in the local low-cost housing market within the East Bank Demerara area and Region 3.

The need for value-adding from foreign investors in the timber industry has been repeatedly urged. In the past there have been several commitments for processing plants. While these have not materialized, the companies in question have engaged in significant log exports.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Facebook Live set to broadcast T20 games

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC – Caribbean Premier League organisers have combined with online social networking service, Facebook, to broadcast all 34 games of the new season, live to 40 countries.

default placeholder

Increased venues, franchises in pipeline as CPL seeks expansion

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad,  CMC – Caribbean Premier League organisers say they will explore pushing the increasingly popular Twenty20 tournament into Asia, as well as expanding the number of franchises involved and hosting them in North American cities.

default placeholder

Grade Six results to be released Tuesday

The Ministry of Education today said that results of the National Grade Six Assessment –NGSA will be released on Tuesday, July 5, 2016.

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: