Government awaiting date for hearing of contempt of court charge against GCB officials

-Attorney General Anil Nandlall

Attorney General Anil Nandlall yesterday said he was awaiting a date from the High Court on when proceedings will start in the contempt of court motion filed against several officials purporting to be the executive of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB).

Nandlall, when reached for a comment via telephone yesterday, said the motion was filed even before elections were held to election a new body to manage the affairs of cricket in Guyana.

Meanwhile, Sport Minister Dr. Frank Anthony, when approached for a comment on the situation described the elections as unfortunate.

Anil Nandlall
Anil Nandlall

“The persons who participated in the elections would have been one part of the Demerara Board and the Essequibo Board. So what you have is an election where the constituents should have been three county boards, you basically had one and a half participating. Because of that I think the process itself would have been flawed, you did not have full participation, which is one aspect. But the second aspect is that there are two injunctions in place that prevents the members from going ahead with such an election,” Dr. Anthony told Stabroek Sport.

He said since the violation some action will be taken and that action, he said, commenced with the filing of contempt of court action by the Attorney General.

“So if you had a flawed process and you did not have proper representation and so forth then I think the elections outcome would obviously be skewed. And what is unfortunate is that you have persons purporting to represent the WICB (West Indies Cricket Board) overseeing the elections and I understand they made pronouncements too. Now if you had a flawed process and you did not have full participation then it brings into question the credibility of the elections and I think that is something that the WIBC cannot treat lightly,” said Dr. Anthony.

Similar actions two years ago he said is what is responsible for where the situation is today.

“Among the members they were contesting the elections, saying that the process was fraudulent, we have now gone to another elections and it is worse now because they were injuncted from having it and they went against the Court’s order and have it with less people, so obviously something is wrong there,” he posited.

Three weeks ago, despite two injunctions in place, elections were held to select a new executive to manage the affairs of cricket in Guyana. The subsequent results saw Drubadhur being elected president and Anand Sanasie Secretary of the Guyana Cricket Board. The previous president of the GCB Ramsey Ali resigned sometime last year and did not seek re-election.

More in Sports

The victorious Trinidad and Tobago women’s T20 side celebrate their T20 triumph.

Trinidad captures WICB women’s T20 title

Anisa Mohammed produced another sterling all-round performance which allowed Trinidad and Tobago to hoist the 2016 West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) Regional T20 title after beating Jamaica by two wickets in Monday night’s final played at the Providence National Stadium.

Garfield Wiltshire

Squash players performed “beyond expectations”

Manager of the Guyana Junior Squash Team to the recent Caribbean Junior Squash Championships in the Cayman Islands Garfield Wiltshire said the recent performance of securing Guyana’s 12th overall Team Title was outstanding and that the players performed beyond expectations.

Clinton Urling, Proprietor of German’s Restaurant hands over the sponsorship cheque to Kanimas skipper Nia Gonsalves in the presence of Guyana Baseball League (GBL) President Robin Singh.

German’s Restaurant sponsors baseball team

German’s Restaurant became the latest sponsors of the Guyana Under-21Women’s Baseball team which is preparing to make history come next month when they visit Halifax, Canada to play in an invitational tournament from August 4-8.

default placeholder

Jetty Gunners crowned champs after edging Sparta Boss

Jetty Gunners were crowned the second annual `Ballers in the Summer Street Football Champions’ after edging Sparta Boss 1-0 via penalty kicks in the final on Saturday at the Pouderoyen Tarmac.

Dilma Rousseff

Brazil’s Rousseff turns down Olympic opening invite -aide

BRASILIA, (Reuters) – Brazil’s suspended President Dilma Rousseff has decided not to attend the torch ceremony opening the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, an aide said yesterday, one day after she said in an interview she would not play second fiddle to interim President Michel Temer.

Thomas Bach

IOC’s Bach is part of doping problem, says discus champion Harting

(Reuters) – Germany’s Olympic discus champion Robert Harting has launched a stinging attack on International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach, describing him as part of the problem in the fight against doping.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: