Culture Ministry PS unaware of Lichas Hall subvention

Permanent Secretary of the Culture Ministry Alfred King says that he was not aware of an annual subvention for Lichas Hall in the Ministry’s budget, weeks after committee members of the theatre said that the hall was receiving a subvention since 2008. King said that he did not know that the Linden-based facility was in receipt of funds in the ministry’s budget and if the theatre members knew of a subvention then they should have applied for the subsidy. He noted that there were legal requirements that an institution should submit before a subvention is released. “If there is a subvention, I cannot recall but if they did know then they should have applied but they never did,” he said.

An institution is required to submit an annual report, financial statements and a list of their current executives along with their application for the subsidy, King explained.

However, Devin Sears, Chairman of the Management Committee of the Theatre, said that the committee did not apply because it was unaware of the grant. He said that the committee members were told nothing of a subvention but started to investigate the issue after information surfaced. He added that the committee is following-up the matter at the regional level.

Sears said that the Lichas Hall subvention was raised by the regional chairman at a statutory meeting and letters were sent to the culture ministry requesting an audience with him to discuss the issue. “We were not aware of the money… nothing like it ever came into our possession,” he related.

The committee became conscious of the matter after the Culture Minister Frank Anthony revealed it at the 2013 National Drama Festival Awards Ceremony, said Lichas Hall Secretary, Michael James. He also stated that the ministry owed the committee money for using the facility during the National Drama Festival for rehearsals and a workshop. “They took advantage of the situation and the theatre because we were lenient in our rental,” he said, adding that fees were yet to be paid for two technical rehearsals.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Facebook Live set to broadcast T20 games

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC – Caribbean Premier League organisers have combined with online social networking service, Facebook, to broadcast all 34 games of the new season, live to 40 countries.

default placeholder

Increased venues, franchises in pipeline as CPL seeks expansion

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad,  CMC – Caribbean Premier League organisers say they will explore pushing the increasingly popular Twenty20 tournament into Asia, as well as expanding the number of franchises involved and hosting them in North American cities.

default placeholder

Grade Six results to be released Tuesday

The Ministry of Education today said that results of the National Grade Six Assessment –NGSA will be released on Tuesday, July 5, 2016.

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: