GWI hires private contractor to deliver bills

-intensifying disconnection campaign

The Guyana Water Incorporated (GWI) has hired a private contractor to deliver service bills to customers as it is intensifying its campaign to remove water service for non-payment.

In a press release, GWI Customer Services Manager Jeanette Thomas said the new initiative was implemented under the current Customer Services Improvement Programme which aims to correct the challenges posed by late bill delivery and to encourage customers to make prompt payments.

“Bill payment must be a priority for our customers,” Thomas said, adding that the contractors were hired to reduce the incidence of bills being lost in the post as it had been experiencing with bills delivered to customers via the Guyana Post Office Corporation.

In 2013 the company launched bill payment reminders via text messages and its managers and team leaders are in the field meeting with customers to learn about their challenges in making timely payments, it said in the press release. To this end, GWI intensified promoting its Wallet-Friendly Payment Plan which allows customers to pay their debts in small, flexible payments.

In addition, GWI account holders currently receive quarterly service bills and the company has started to implement a new system of monthly meter readings and delivery of bill payments by mid-year to offer customers more flexibility.

According to the press release, customers can expect prompt bill delivery by the second quarter of the year. The company is also urging all account holders to ensure that payments are timely or their services will be cut off. The company said due to non-payment last year it was forced to start removing the entire service from customers who did not contact the office or made any payments.

“This exercise has intensified and customers are urged to query any outstanding service payments since they will be required to reapply for a new service if disconnected,” Thomas said. Customers are invited to contact the Customer Services Call Centre on telephone number 227-8701/03/04 to make enquiries.

 

More in Local News

default placeholder

Driver in accident with St Lucian cubs jailed for 10 months

The police today said that the driver of the motor vehicle who was involved in an accident with two St Lucian cub scouts has been jailed for 10 months.

default placeholder

Draft bill sees state assets recovery via civil proceedings

The draft State Assets Recovery Bill 2016 envisages non-conviction based, civil recoveries of property over $10m with a 12-year limitation period and wide powers will be available to the agency to be set up under the law to gather information.

Raphael Trotman

Gov’t will not be ‘lectured to in the press’ on forest concessions, Trotman says

Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Raphael Trotman yesterday said that the government will not be “lectured” to in the press on the issue of forestry concessions, while announcing that the arrival of officials from a company in China that may take over the operations of the controversial Baishanlin is being awaited.

Black Bush murder victims laid to rest: Rice farmer, Pawan Chandradeo, 37; his fifteen-year-old son, Jaikarran Chandradeo, both of 163 Mibicuri North, Black Bush Polder and his brother-in-law Naresh Rooplall, 33, of Number 75 Village, Corentyne were yesterday laid to rest following an emotional funeral. They were buried at the Babu John Cemetery, Port Mourant. The trio were found dead on Friday, less than a day after they had left to go on a fishing trip in Black Bush Polder. Intense investigations are underway into the murders. Photo shows the caskets of the three victims and part of the crowd that gathered.

Black Bush triple murder suspects brought to city

Seven men, including the main suspect who was arrested in connection with the Black Bush Polder, Corentyne triple murder were transported to Georgetown on Tuesday evening and are currently being questioned by ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID), Major Crimes Unit.

Anthony Jhagroo

Bulletin issued for suspect in murder of mechanic

The police yesterday issued a  bulletin for Anthony Jhagroo, who is wanted for questioning in relation to two offences: escaping from lawful custody and the murder of mechanic, Yugeshwar Shiwcharan.

default placeholder

Five cops under close arrest over stolen gold

Five police officers attached to the Brickdam Police Station are currently under close arrest after they allegedly stole a quantity of raw gold from some miners last Friday.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: