Sex workers targeted in drive-by shooting

-accuse cops, public hospital of discriminatory response

Four transgender individuals came under fire in a drive-by attack on Monday night at the corner of King Street and North Road, and a police investigation is now underway after law enforcers initially refused to take statements from the group.

The quartet was shot at with pellets while at the junction plying their trade as sex workers.

Injured in the drive by shooting were Seon Persaud, who is known as Isabella and another individual identified as Nick. Stabroek News was informed by Isabella that she and her three friends were in the vicinity as per normal when the shooting occurred. “I see the bus coming but the light went in my eye so I look away,” she said. “All I know is I hear something go pow pow pow and I start feeling dizzy,” she added.

It was at this point she collapsed and fell to the concrete with her friend Nick, who was also shot. The pellets managed to pierce their skin.

However, the bad night got progressively worse for the four as they rushed to the Brickdam Police Station to lodge a report with the licence plate of the bus only to have the officers at the station shout derogatory remarks at them. According to the sex workers, they were called a number of offensive names not only because of their profession but also because of their sexual orientation. The officers reportedly did not want to take their statements or issue them with medical forms. According to them, it was not the first time violence was used against them and the behaviour of the police officers is typical when they seek to make reports.

After they persisted, an officer eventually took their statements and instructed them to proceed to the Georgetown Public Hospital and to return to the station in the morning.

However, their battle was not yet over. When they arrived at the hospital they were subjected to the same treatment they received at the police station. The hospital staff allegedly behaved in a discriminatory manner and were unwilling to treat the two injured in the group. Once again, the four transgender individuals were forced to wait, this time for someone who was willing to treat them.

When Stabroek News contacted hospital Chief Executive Officer Michael Khan, he said he was not aware of the situation but would launch an investigation. He also stated that he does not condone such behaviour by any hospital staff. “I am very disturbed by this… allegation,” Khan said. “We treat everyone regardless of race, colour or profession.”

Their disturbing experiences angered the group of workers, who said that they are fearful.

They believe that the motive for the crime was the “stigma against homosexuals.”

Stabroek News also made contact with human rights group the Society Against Sexual Orientation Discrimination but it had no comment on the situation, with an official stating that they were unaware of the circumstances surrounding the matter.

Meanwhile, the individuals were informed by the police yesterday that an investigation is now underway and that they are currently tracking the owner of the vehicle.

 

Latest in Local News

bkdonald

Tiwari pledged continuing support to PPP in March last year – Ramotar

Former President Donald Ramotar today released a letter written to him by the Head of BK Inc Brian Tiwari on March 23rd last year pledging continuing support to the PPP and best wishes for the then upcoming general elections.

default placeholder

Crane man shot after chopping wife, child to death

A man this morning chopped his wife and two-year-old child to death at Crane, West Coast Demerara and wounded his mother.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: