Carol Ann Lynch freed again of murder charge

A weeping Carol Ann Lynch swiftly exited the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court yesterday morning after she was freed a second time from a charge of murdering her husband, Farouk Razac.

The former beauty queen was first freed of the charge in 2007, but was then charged again in 2010.

Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry who had been conducting the preliminary inquiry that began on April 1, ruled in favour of the defence, just after listening to submissions by both the defence and the prosecution.

Carol Ann Lynch entering a taxi followed by her father Robert Lynch (right).
Carol Ann Lynch entering a taxi followed by her father Robert Lynch (right).

Attorney Latchmi Rahamat, who appeared in association with Attorney Peter Hugh, in her submission, argued that no case was made out against Lynch. Rahamat told the court that on the day in question, Lynch had gone out and left Razac at home. There was an employee was in the yard, with keys to the house and full access to Razac.

The lawyer argued that evidence whether circumstantial or otherwise, had to rationalise a nexus between the accused and the victim. That nexus, she opined, was not made. Additionally, the attorney then asked why that employee was not sitting in the prisoner’s dock, as she pointed to Lynch in the dock.

In response, the prosecution, through Police Corporal Bharat Mangru, begged to differ with Rahamat’s submission and told the court that the prosecution had produced sufficient evidence against Lynch. He then pointed to a witness’s testimony, but after Magistrate Sewnarine-Beharry reviewed the evidence offered by the witness, she ruled that sufficient evidence was not presented by the prosecution and therefore cleared Lynch.

The court had heard from 17 witnesses including the daughter of Razac and Lynch, Lynch’s niece as well as her father and brother, Robert Lynch and Robert Lynch Jnr.

Lynch was first charged in May 2007 after Razac was found dead on the floor of their Eping Avenue, Bel Air home. Following a PI, then magistrate Gordon Gilhuys in late December 2007 had ruled that no prima facie case was made out against her and she was subsequently discharged.

Shortly after the case had ended, police re-arrested her with a view to re-charging. She was, however, released a few days later after her lawyers moved to the High Court.

In October 2010, police filed a fresh murder charge against Lynch.

The following month, the then acting chief magistrate issued a warrant for her arrest after being told by the police that Lynch had been formally served notice of the charge but had not appeared.

When the matter was called for the third time on November 10, 2010 at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts, she was still absent and so the charge could not be read. In the months after, she still did not appear in court and the case was adjourned several times.

There was no word on her whereabouts until September last year when reports surfaced that she had been working for a local tour operator, unknown to police. Attempts had been made by the police to apprehend her but to no avail. Shortly after, police issued a new wanted bulletin for her and she turned herself in.

Lynch and Razac had previously been charged with unlawful possession of four 9 mm magazines, one Beretta automatic pistol and 120 rounds of 9 mm ammunition, which were found at the same home on November 10, 2006. They were granted $1 million bail each and after her husband’s death Lynch faced those charges alone. They were later dismissed.

Latest in Local News

Joel Ganesh

Crane man hacks wife, toddler to death

-leaves mom critical after severing hand A Crane, West Coast Demerara man early yesterday morning butchered his wife and two-year-old-son and critically wounded his mother during a rampage that was eventually brought to an end when he was shot by the police.

An excerpt of the letter released by former president Donald Ramotar

Ramotar releases letter showing Tiwarie backing for PPP up to month before polls

Former President Donald Ramotar yesterday released a letter written by prominent businessman Brian Tiwarie pledging his support to the PPP a month before the May, 2015 general elections that ended the party’s 23-year reign.

default placeholder

Minister blames negligence for improper disposal of foetus at Diamond Hospital

Following recent reports of a foetus being mutilated at the Diamond Hospital, Minister of Public Health Dr George Norton has attributed the incident to negligence and stated that the responsible party will likely be sanctioned.

default placeholder

Sweeping insurance bill passes, central bank powers boosted

Using its one-seat majority, the government early Friday morning passed the sweeping Insurance Bill 2016 which fortifies a regulatory role for the Bank of Guyana and seeks to prevent a CLICO-type meltdown in the sector here.

Junior Minister of Public Infrastructure Annette Ferguson yesterday inspecting works done so far on Carifesta Avenue, where the flags and courts of arms of the Caricom member states have been mounted ahead of next week’s Heads of Government summit. Inset are the flag and coat of arms of Haiti. See story on page 2. (Photo by Keno George)

Carifesta Ave, Ogle Airport road to be ready for Caricom summit

The preliminary upgrade and rehabilitation of Carifesta Avenue and the Ogle Airport Road, respectively, are almost complete and these thoroughfares will be ready for use from today Junior Minister of Public Infrastructure Annette Ferguson has said.

default placeholder

Pre-elections VAT reduction promise was ‘imprudent’

President David Granger has called the elections promise by the APNU+AFC to reduce Value Added Tax (VAT) within its first 100 days in office “imprudent.” Asked on this week’s “The Public Interest” programme if his coalition’s promise of a reduction in VAT was no more than an election gimmick, Granger said that while it is still possible that VAT will be reduced, it has not happened yet because the money is not there.

default placeholder

No non-essential travel by ministers – Granger

President David Granger is not convinced that his ministers have been embarking on non-essential travel. In fact, he maintains that his Cabinet ensures that all travel done by ministers is in the “national interest.” The president was asked this week on the televised programme, “The Public Interest,” whether he believed ministers of government were engaging in non-essential travel and if this matter had been discussed.

A frontal view of the building, as seen on Thursday.

Workers gets safety gear after electrocution at Robb St building site

The remaining workers at a Robb Street building site, where a workman was electrocuted nearly three weeks ago, have since been equipped with safety gear and measures have been taken to cover up the wires in front of the building.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: