Release of info on Marriott was timely – Rohee

Three years since the sod turning and the ongoing construction of the Marriott Hotel, the PPP says that the information released on Saturday on the Marriott investors was “timely and reflective of the Government’s commitment to being transparent.”

General Secretary of the ruling party, Clement Rohee, got agitated yesterday when he was questioned on how exactly the project has been coordinated in a transparent way considering the release of information had not been steady and construction of the project has been ongoing for three years without the public knowing who the private investor was.

Rohee stated that transparency was not for every individual to define or to be defined by a newspaper editorial. He noted that the questions being asked were political in their delivery and that “the whole objective behind questions pertaining to transparency in this country whether it is pertaining to Transparency International or whatever is mainly aimed at embarrassing the government.”

He said that the revelation of information on the private investors was their decision to be made. The US$51 million project has been shrouded in secrecy and the release of information on the investors was made public after months of promises.

In January last year, the government was still calling for expressions of interest (EOI) for equity participation in the Marriott Hotel project. An ad in the Sunday Chronicle on January 26 said that while AHI was in receipt of a number of EOIs from private investors to participate in the equity, the company was seeking to finalize the selection of one or more participants who will collectively own 67% of AHI’s equity with a total subscription value of US$8M.

This ad came months after Head of the National Industrial and Commercial Investments Limited (NICIL), Winston Brassington was actively promising to reveal the name of the private investor, even giving a December 2013 deadline previously.

Rohee yesterday stated that “the project has only been deemed controversial due to the few parties opposed to the project — the Pegasus Hotel owner who is known to be a key supporter of the AFC, certain leaders of the TUC that are strong supporters of APNU; the AFC and APNU and certain media outfits aligned to the opposition”. He noted that in 2012 the Finance Ministry had released the construction contract, tax agreements and lease agreements. The released materials did not however provide much information on the answers that were being sought.

The PPP General Secretary said that with the release of the hotel feasibility study last year much of the public outcry for transparency should have been subdued. However, the study was released in parts with the Atlantic Hotel Inc (AHI) finally making the full study available months after it was finalized in October 2012.

Rohee blamed the media for the secrecy surrounding the project, contending that it was the Guyanese media that scared investors. He said that a certain level of confidentiality needed to be upheld because “the media are so gung ho to going after investors in this country.”

He said that the “The major players in this project…the government the private sector, Tourism Association of Guyana, all these stakeholders have welcomed (the project), and they are in my view the key stakeholders, they have not raised one iota that indicated controversy.”

This was not entirely so as the Georgetown Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s second Attitudinal Survey reported that the Marriott Hotel project was not seen as a priority. When the point was raised by members of the media, Rohee said that he had never heard members come out vocally about their objections.

Stabroek News asked the PPP general secretary why, since the government was strongly pushing for the Marriott project as well as highlighting benefits to the tourism sector, there had been no statement on the sudden closing of the Tower Hotel last week. Rohee replied that the Tower Hotel is privately owned and that “If that was a government-owned hotel sections of the media would have come down on us like a ton of bricks.”

This newspaper attempted to press the general secretary for further comment on why the government was keen on public-private partnerships like the Marriott Hotel Project while being seemingly disinterested in preserving the 104-year-old Georgetown landmark hotel.

While there has been no extensive study done on hotel use and occupancy rates here, existing hotels are struggling to fill rooms and this is one of the reasons that critics have been skeptical of the feasibility of the Marriott project.

On Saturday, AHI and Republic Bank Ltd (RBL) in a joint statement made the long-awaited announcement of the investors, two Hong Kong businessmen, Victor How Chung Chan and Xu Han.

Brassington had disclosed that a private investor would be contributing US$8M towards the needed equity for the completion of the hotel and would become the majority shareholder. British Virgin Islands-registered ACE Square Investments Ltd, of which Chan and Han are principal shareholders, will acquire 67% of the equity of AHI for US$8M. AHI and RBL said under the Hotel Management Agreement between Marriott and AHI, Marriott has consented to the transfer of the controlling interest of AHI from NICIL to ACE Square Investments Ltd.

The joint statement also announced the completion of the financial arrangements by Republic Bank for a syndicated borrowing of US$27M in debt financing for AHI. It was also announced that Ace Square Management Ltd, an affiliate company of ACE Square Investments Ltd, was selected to operate the Entertainment Complex and secure the outfitting cost, estimated at a minimum of US$4M

In all, Brassington has said, NICIL is responsible for putting just under US$20M into the project, including US$4M in equity.

Latest in Local News

Joel Ganesh

Crane man hacks wife, toddler to death

-leaves mom critical after severing hand A Crane, West Coast Demerara man early yesterday morning butchered his wife and two-year-old-son and critically wounded his mother during a rampage that was eventually brought to an end when he was shot by the police.

An excerpt of the letter released by former president Donald Ramotar

Ramotar releases letter showing Tiwarie backing for PPP up to month before polls

Former President Donald Ramotar yesterday released a letter written by prominent businessman Brian Tiwarie pledging his support to the PPP a month before the May, 2015 general elections that ended the party’s 23-year reign.

default placeholder

Minister blames negligence for improper disposal of foetus at Diamond Hospital

Following recent reports of a foetus being mutilated at the Diamond Hospital, Minister of Public Health Dr George Norton has attributed the incident to negligence and stated that the responsible party will likely be sanctioned.

default placeholder

Sweeping insurance bill passes, central bank powers boosted

Using its one-seat majority, the government early Friday morning passed the sweeping Insurance Bill 2016 which fortifies a regulatory role for the Bank of Guyana and seeks to prevent a CLICO-type meltdown in the sector here.

Junior Minister of Public Infrastructure Annette Ferguson yesterday inspecting works done so far on Carifesta Avenue, where the flags and courts of arms of the Caricom member states have been mounted ahead of next week’s Heads of Government summit. Inset are the flag and coat of arms of Haiti. See story on page 2. (Photo by Keno George)

Carifesta Ave, Ogle Airport road to be ready for Caricom summit

The preliminary upgrade and rehabilitation of Carifesta Avenue and the Ogle Airport Road, respectively, are almost complete and these thoroughfares will be ready for use from today Junior Minister of Public Infrastructure Annette Ferguson has said.

default placeholder

Pre-elections VAT reduction promise was ‘imprudent’

President David Granger has called the elections promise by the APNU+AFC to reduce Value Added Tax (VAT) within its first 100 days in office “imprudent.” Asked on this week’s “The Public Interest” programme if his coalition’s promise of a reduction in VAT was no more than an election gimmick, Granger said that while it is still possible that VAT will be reduced, it has not happened yet because the money is not there.

default placeholder

No non-essential travel by ministers – Granger

President David Granger is not convinced that his ministers have been embarking on non-essential travel. In fact, he maintains that his Cabinet ensures that all travel done by ministers is in the “national interest.” The president was asked this week on the televised programme, “The Public Interest,” whether he believed ministers of government were engaging in non-essential travel and if this matter had been discussed.

A frontal view of the building, as seen on Thursday.

Workers gets safety gear after electrocution at Robb St building site

The remaining workers at a Robb Street building site, where a workman was electrocuted nearly three weeks ago, have since been equipped with safety gear and measures have been taken to cover up the wires in front of the building.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: