GDF welcomes 276 new soldiers

-promotion for rank accidentally shot

The Guyana Defence Force (GDF) on Friday, graduated 276 new soldiers who have completed 10 weeks of training on its first Basic Recruits Course for the year.

A press release from the GDF said that the passing out parade for this latest batch of entrants was held on the Drill Square at the Colonel John Clarke Military School (CJCMS) at Tacama, Upper Berbice.

Private Delroy Blackett (right) receiving his prize for the best performance at Camp Seweyo (GDF photo)
Private Delroy Blackett (right) receiving his prize for the best performance at Camp Seweyo (GDF photo)
The new soldiers in formation (GDF photo)
The new soldiers in formation (GDF photo)

In his feature address to the new soldiers, Chief of Staff, Brigadier Mark Phillips, voiced the hope that the training has instilled in the new soldiers, “the qualities of serving correctly and being effective ambassadors of the GDF, and, by extension, the country”.

The release said that he singled out the core value, ‘discipline’, and stressed that to be good soldiers, they must also understand their rights and obligations under military law, and, at all times abide by the values and standards of the GDF.

Phillips, the release said, reminded them that it was incumbent that they keep continuing education in focus as they perform their duties as soldiers.

Three hundred and five recruits started training at the end of May but 30 withdrew for various reasons.

Two–thirds of the new soldiers were trained at the CJCMS at Tacama, while the remainder were trained at GDF Base Camp Seweyo on the Linden-Soesdyke Highway. The release said that those trained at Seweyo, have been posted to the technical and speciality units of the Force.

Delroy Blacket, a resident of Paradise Village on the East Coast of Demerara and Mabaruma, North West District resident Brendon Holder, were the Best Students of the Seweyo and Tacama courses, respectively.

Vernon Harding, the rank who was injured in the recent accidental shooting incident at Tacama, was also promoted to the rank of Private. He continues to improve at the medical facilities at Base Camp Ayanganna, the release added.

More in Local News

Bisham Kuppen

Despite higher revenue, city still faces deficit

City Hall amassed a whopping $1.29 billion in revenue for the first six months of the year but continues to operate at a deficit and some city councillors are frustrated at their inability to access detailed information on the city’s expenditure.

default placeholder

Gov’t condemns Jagdeo for race baiting

The Government of Guyana (GoG) yesterday condemned Leader of the Opposition Bharrat Jagdeo for “race baiting,” after he claimed that there is “an assault on people of Indian origin” during a speech at an event in New York recently.

Commander of ‘B’ Division Ian Amsterdam (second, right) meeting with Pawan Chandradeo’s wife and children

City detectives to assist in Berbice triple murder probe

The police are continuing to work all angles and a number of theories in order to solve last week’s triple murder at Mibicuri, Black Bush Polder and Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum said yesterday that a team from the force’s Major Crimes Unit (MCU) was expected to head to the area to lend assistance in the investigation.

default placeholder

Appointment of new foreign envoys based on merit, not patronage – Granger

The appointment of new foreign mission heads was based on merit and was not a form of reward, President David Granger said last evening even as he called on them to put the border controversy with Venezuela on the front burner.

The roof of Nand Persaud International Communications Inc at Tain covered with solar panels

Nand Persaud Company set to unveil huge solar project in Berbice

Local business group Nand Persaud and Company Limited will shortly unveil what is said to be the largest solar energy project in the country to date with 220 kilowatts of energy expected to be generated to power the group’s call centre at Tain, Corentyne.

default placeholder

Probe launched into maternity death

An investigation has been launched into the death of a Matthews Ridge woman who succumbed one week after giving birth via caesarean section (C-section) at the Georgetown Public Hospital, Minister of Public Health Dr George Norton has said.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: