Missing cousins unlikely to have broken camp – former co-worker says

A former co-worker of Odel Downer and Winston Johashen, the Berbice cousins who have been reported missing after nearly a month with no word from them from the interior, has disputed claims by a mining camp supervisor that the two young men absconded from their work site.

The mothers of Odel Downer and Winston Johashen, are still searching for their sons as they are yet to receive any word on their whereabouts.

According to Merlyn Downer, mother of Odel, promises have been made by the police that radio messages would be sent into the interior. In the meantime, the mothers said they will continue commuting between George-town and Berbice to gain more media coverage to help them find their sons.

Odel Downer
Odel Downer
Winston Johashen
Winston Johashen

Odel Downer, of Number 8 Village, West Coast Berbice (WCB) and Winston Johashen, of Number 9 Village, WCB, both 20, had begun working at 14 Mile, Issano as miners only about three months ago before their disappearance sometime in May.

When contact was made late last week with the supervisor at the mining camp, the mothers were informed that the youths had “broken camp” and left in the middle of the night, never to be seen since.

A former co-worker of the boys, who asked to remain unnamed, believes the story of them breaking camp to be very unlikely. The man had left the camp about three weeks ago and both of the young men had still been there, he said.

“No transportation is available in the middle of the night and it’s extremely hazardous to travel during the night,” the man said. He continued, “There are animals and lots of bush; you can’t even see your hands in front of your face. It’s totally strange; nobody would leave there in the middle of the night,” he maintained.

The supervisor of the camp, who had offered the explanation of the boys’ disappearances to the mothers, was unreachable for a comment. However, the mothers believed that he should be held responsible for their sons. “You can’t just sit and hear from other workers that two persons break camp and you ain’t do nothing to see exactly what happened,” the mothers lamented.

 

More in Local News

Jaikarran Chandradeo

Two more held as cops look for motive in Corentyne triple murder

Police yesterday detained two more persons as they continued to try to unravel the motive behind the gruesome shooting to death of two men and a teenage boy, whose bodies were discovered at Kokerite Savannah, Mibicuri Creek, on Friday.

These children enjoyed being pushed home by a cousin

Riverstown

Riverstown, a village on the Essequibo Coast, is pressed between Pomona and Airy Hall. Once you cross the railway-like bridge over a black water creek, you’re in Riverstown, where there are more than 700 residents.

Raphael Trotman

SARU operating legally despite absence of legislation

Minister of Natural Resources, Raphael Trotman said on Thursday that the State Assets Recovery Unit (SARU) is operating legally and despite its inability to prosecute persons, it is currently doing investigative work which is part of its mandate.

Dead: Orin Morris

Sophia stevedore killed in freak accident at wharf

The body of a stevedore attached to the John Fernandes Limited, Water Street wharf was retrieved from the Demerara River on Thursday evening, more than a day after he was involved in a freak accident.

The old abandoned Moco-Moco Hydropower Station

2018 deadline set for completion of Moco-Moco hydropower facility

Due diligence is currently being done on two firms that had bid to rehabilitate the Moco-Moco hydropower facility and the project should be completed by the end of 2018, Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson says.

Devika Tinsarran after she lost all her hair due to chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer.

Breast cancer survivor turned advocate urges women to get screened early

For many who receive a breast cancer diagnosis, hearing from others who have survived it can be a great source of comfort and support.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.



Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: