Automatic promotion restored for secondary schools

A year after revising an Automatic Promotion policy, the Ministry of Education is reinstating the policy.

In a memo dated July 14, Chief Education Officer Olato Sam instructed heads of schools and other officials to suspend the implementation of Circular No. 2/2014: Automatic Promotion/ Retention of Students to Secondary Schools until further notice. “All students in Secondary Schools will continue to be automatically promoted as per the pre-existing Circular No. 8/2009: Grade Repetition/ Retention and Automatic Promotion,” he said.

“Schools will be given clear instructions regarding action to be taken in relation to this policy in due course,” the memo added.

Last year July, after concerns were raised, the Ministry revised the automatic promotion policy and said that secondary-level students who fail Mathematics and English will no longer be advanced to higher grades. The revision of the policy, which was implemented in 2010 under then Education Minister Shaik Baksh, followed negative feedback from various stakeholders and as well, was an effort to ensure more students qualify for university education.

Education Minister Priya Manickchand said at the time that following consultations held with teachers, students, and parents in more than 30 meetings, a decision has been taken to modify the policy.

She said that the rationale behind the implementation of the policy was to create a system which would mitigate the negative effects of grade repetition.

Such negative effects include a high dropout rate due to embarrassment and the burden on students of having to repeat subjects that they may have excelled in despite failing overall.

It turned out, however, that the policy did not find popularity among parents, teachers, and even the students it was engineered to benefit. These stakeholders, Manickchand had said, expressed a high degree of disapproval for the policy and stated their belief that promotion from one grade to another should be earned and not automatic.

A consultation with these stakeholders prior to the policy’s implementation may have yielded these findings but no such consultations were held.

Asked why the ministry failed to consult the stakeholders who would be affected the most by the policy, Sam, at the time did not say why they were overlooked.

He said though, that the ministry relied on the counsel of experts in the area of education, who all thought that the policy would have been beneficial.

Since the policy’s implementation, many teachers have complained that students have become complacent and lazy. One teacher had told Stabroek News that when he chastised a particular student for not making a good attempt at his school work, the student blatantly said that he would be promoted whether or not he did the work.

Many have argued that the policy, even though implemented for two years, had taken a toll on the attitudes of children, and thus affected the results seen after Carib-bean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) sittings since that time. Sam, however, had said that since no studies were done, such an assessment could not be made.

He had noted, however, that despite the negative implications of the policy and the ensuing negative feedback, the policy of automatic promotion did have some positive effects.

In addition to the reduction of the number of school dropouts seen each year, Sam said that students, not feeling the pressure of having to excel in all subject areas, have been left to focus on the subjects that they do well in and have excelled in these areas at the CSEC examinations.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Resource ambassadors raise $14.5m for UG

Education resource ambassadors from various parts of the world who were recently here for a conference on improving UG have raised $14.5m for the university.

default placeholder

Northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue closed to traffic

The northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue has been closed to traffic. This is to facilitate ongoing improvement and lighting works to the thoroughfare.

The newly appointed Deputy Commissioner General Hema Khan (left) with Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas. She was introduced during a press conference held yesterday.

GRA sacks heads of Customs, HR

Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas yesterday announced a major shake-up in the management of the tax body, including the removal of the heads of its Customs and Human Resources divisions for unsatisfactory performance and the appointment of a Deputy Commissioner-General.

European Union Ambassador Jernej Videtič (left) hands over the Coastal Engineering Design Manual for Guyana Sea and River Defences to Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson. (Ministry of Public Infrastructure photo)

$2B in EU funding for sea defences

While urging the swift operationalisation of the Public Procurement Commission (PPC), European Union (EU) Representative to Guyana Ambassador Jernej Videtič yesterday handed over a $2 billion cheque to Minister of Finance Winston Jordan to aid in improving the country’s sea and river defences.

Members of the City Constabulary in their ceremonial dress march along Regent Street yesterday prior to the arrival of the President. (Photo by Keno George)

Put citizens first

With the controversial parking meter contract instigating fractures within the Mayor and City Council (M&CC), President David Granger yesterday reminded city councillors that they are accountable to the citizens who voted them into office.

Injuried: Dhaniram Tribeni

Canal Number One businessman beaten, shot in home invasion

A Canal Number One businessman is now injured after he was beaten and shot early yesterday morning when armed bandits invaded his home and escaped with a quantity cash and jewellery.

default placeholder

City councillor accused of invading Town Clerk’s privacy

A city councillor has been accused of invading the privacy of Town Clerk Royston King and his family after contacting one of King’s daughters about the controversial trip he made to Mexico with the Mayor and other council members.

default placeholder

Chainsaw operator, 16, charged over rape of 10-yr-old

A 16-year-old chainsaw operator was yesterday charged with the rape of a child under the age of 16 years old and later released into the custody of his parents.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: