Auction of mining properties deferred

The auction for mining properties set for yesterday was postponed and will now be held on August 11, the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) said.

Lotteries for medium scale parcels of land will also be held in the six mining districts following the auction. In an ad in the Stabroek News yesterday, the GGMC said that the auction of the medium-scale parcels of land will be now be held on August 11 at 10am at the Guyana Girl Guides Association building on Brickdam.

The ad said that interested persons must consult the relevant maps which are on display at the GGMC head office, mining stations and at the Guyana Gold and Diamond Miners Association office, to ascertain their area of interest. Persons can also acquire copies of the auction maps at the cost of $3000 per sheet.

The ad said that successful bidders will be required to pay the bid price plus 3% auction dues immediately at the end of the auction. No late payments will be accepted. Allottees are required to file an application for the block awarded by September 17, 2014 or the award will be considered to have lapsed.

Bidding for properties will commence at $60 000 per acre and increase by $10 000 increments. All applicants must be Guyanese citizens, 18 years or older at the time of application. Registered companies where all beneficial owners are Guyanese citizens can participate in the auction. The GGMC said that allocations are final and pointed out that blocks are auctioned as is and may have been mined or have claims located within them.

The auction and lotteries come as the sector looks to increase production following a slump in gold declarations. The 20% decline in gold declarations for the first five months of this year caused alarm both in the sector and at the level of government and the authorities moved to open areas across the country for mining. Gold exports amounted to US$648.5 million last year and Chairman of the Guyana Gold Board, Gobind Ganga has said that the drop has seen Guyana losing about US$100 million in foreign exchange and approximately $1.5 billion in royalty and taxes.

In relation to the lotteries of the medium-scale parcels of land, the GGMC in another ad said that these lotteries covering land in the six mining districts will be held on August 18 at 10am. For Mining Districts 1 and 6 which covers Berbice and Rupununi respectively, the lotteries will be held in Georgetown. The lottery for Mining District 2 which covers Potaro will be held in Mahdia while a lottery will be held in Bartica to cover Mining Districts 3 and 4 which are Mazaruni and Cuyuni respectively. For Mining District 5- the North West District – the lottery will be held in Port Kaituma.

Relevant maps can be obtained at the GGMC Head Office or at Mining Stations. The closing date for applications is August 14. The GGMC said that participants in the lottery are required to complete an application form and pay a non-refundable participation fee of $5000. Application forms can be obtained from the Land Management Section, GGMC, Brickdam or any mining station.

The ad said that participants shall select the zone within each mining district from which their allotment will derive. Only one application is permissible from an individual or group. Allottees are required to file an application for the parcel awarded by September 29, 2014 or the award will be considered to have lapsed, the GGMC said. All applicants must be Guyanese citizens and all allocations are final.

There has been concern that the move to open new lands for mining is likely to increase deforestation and this could impact the deal under which Norway is paying Guyana to protect its forest. Head of Conservation International-Guyana Dr David Singh had told Stabroek News that opening up new lands should be based on a determination that these areas are productive.

Noting that there would be a trade-off of forest conservation benefits for revenues that Guyana can get from mining, he had said that there really ought to be a mechanism to ensure that the trade-off would be positive in the long run.

 

Latest in Local News

Omar Shariff

Ministry of the Presidency official Shariff sent on leave pending SOCU investigation

Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of the Presidency (MOTP), Omar Shariff has been sent on leave by Minister of State, Joseph Harmon, a release from MOTP said today.

default placeholder

Body found in rubble of Wales fire

At 01:30hrs today, police say that a fire destroyed a home at Wales, West Bank Demerara, and the body of an unidentified person was subsequently discovered among the rubble.

default placeholder

Exxon Mobil says second well confirms `significant’ oil find

Exxon Mobil Corporation today said that drilling results from the Liza-2 well, the second exploration well in the Stabroek block offshore Guyana, confirm a world-class find with a recoverable deposit of between 800 million and 1.4 billion oil-equivalent barrels.

default placeholder

Proposed law bans smoking in public places

Proposed tobacco control legislation will see a ban on smoking in public places while cigarette advertising will no longer be allowed and pictorial and text health warnings will have to be displayed on at least 75% of the packaging on tobacco products.

default placeholder

$800M in specialty hospital steel ‘awarded’ to BK

Government needs to explain why about $800 million worth of steel and other equipment that were earmarked for the now-frozen specialty hospital project, went solely to businessman Brian Tiwarie, former President Donald Ramotar says.

Ezekiel Murray

Truck driver jailed for three years for crash causing child’s death

Clyde Barker, the truck driver who was accused of running over 12-year-old Ezekiel Murray along the Friendship Public Road last year and causing his death, was yesterday sentenced to 3 years imprisonment.

default placeholder

Businessman jailed and fined over gun, ammo possession

A businessman was yesterday sentenced to two years imprisonment and fined $100,000 after being found guilty of illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition.

default placeholder

Business minister ‘in denial’ over economic ‘crisis’

Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo yesterday said that Minister of Business Dominic Gaskin is in denial about Guyana not being in an economic crisis.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: