Egyptian court sentences ousted leader Mubarak to three years jail

CAIRO, (Reuters) – An Egyptian court today sentenced ousted president Hosni Mubarak to three years in prison on charges of stealing public funds.

“He should have treated people close and far from him equally,” said Judge Osama Shaheen, as Mubarak looked on from a cage flanked by his sons, who were sentenced to four years in jail on the same charges. “Instead of abiding by the constitution and laws, he gave himself and his sons the freedom to take from public funds whatever they wanted to without oversight and without regard.”

Judicial sources told Reuters that the 23 months Mubarak had spent in jail since the 2011 uprising up to August, when he left prison for house arrest, would be applied against the sentence, meaning the former president will probably serve no more than a year as punishment for the corruption charges.

His sons, who have already spent three years in jail, will also have to serve only one more year to complete their sentence, the sources said.

Four other defendants in the case were acquitted.

The embezzled funds had been assigned for the renovation of presidential palaces but instead were spent on sprucing up family properties.

Mubarak’s former intelligence chief, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, is poised to be elected president next week in polls that could bolster the legitimacy of a military-backed government.

The verdict may please some Egyptians who lived through three decades of autocracy under Mubarak, but analysts say that business executives still loyal to him remain influential. Rights groups say that abusive practices of the Mubarak regime are alive and well as another former military man prepares to take the reins of power.

TOUGHER SENTENCES

Since former army chief Sisi toppled elected Islamist President Mohamed Mursi in July, courts have handed down tough sentences to members of Mursi’s Muslim Brotherhood and to secular activists. The judiciary is seen by critics as a key tool in a state crackdown against all dissent to the army-backed government.

Wednesday’s ruling was for a financial crime, not a criminal one. However, many prominent activists have recently been given harsher sentences for protesting than Mubarak received for embezzling millions while he served as president. Senior members of the Brotherhood, including the spiritual guide of the Islamist movement, have been sentenced to death.

Some activists, reacting to the verdict on Twitter, compared the sentence for Mubarak and his sons to a Tuesday ruling against Mahienour el-Masri, a young revolutionary activist. Masri was sentenced to two years in jail for protesting without a permit, violating a law passed in November that tightly regulates the right to protest.

Leaders of Mubarak’s former ruling party were banned last month from running in any coming elections, but the court order did not list any names, drawing complaints that a lack of clarity could blunt the move’s impact. [ID: nL6N0NS352]

The court fined Mubarak and his sons 21.197 million Egyptian pounds ($2.98 million) and ordered them to repay about 125 million Egyptian pounds of funds the court said they had stolen. Mubarak, 86, wore a dark suit at the trial, while his sons wore white prison garb.

Alaa and Gamal became very wealthy businessmen during their father’s presidency. Gamal, once widely seen as Mubarak’s successor, and his brother were part of a strong patronage network that entrenched a system of “crony capitalism” that enriched an elite few while tens of millions of Egyptians lived in poverty.

Mubarak has been under house arrest at a military hospital since August pending retrial in a case of complicity in killing protesters during the 2011 uprising that ended his rule.

The website of state newspaper Al-Ahram reported that the court had ordered Mubarak transferred to Tora Prison, where his sons are jailed. His health may mean that he will be held at the prison’s hospital.

He is also accused in two other cases of corruption that have yet to come to court.

($1 = 7.1167 Egyptian Pounds)

More in World News

default placeholder

Islamic State claims responsibility for Kabul attack, 80 dead

KABUL (Reuters) – Twin explosions tore through a demonstration by members of Afghanistan’s mainly Shi’ite Hazara minority in Kabul yesterday, killing at least 80 people and wounding more than 230 in a suicide attack claimed by Islamic State.

default placeholder

Spy agencies struggle to spot threats from lone, mentally ill attackers

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Recent attacks on civilians in the US and Europe have exposed a gap in the intelligence community’s efforts to track suspected extremists and prevent mass killings, a half dozen American, British and French counterterrorism officials told Reuters.

default placeholder

Turkey’s Erdogan shuts schools, charities in first state of emergency decree

ISTANBUL/ANKARA (Reuters) – President Tayyip Erdogan tightened his grip on Turkey yesterday, ordering the closure of thousands of private schools, charities and other institutions in his first decree since imposing a state of emergency after the failed military coup.

default placeholder

Heavy rain in China kills at least 87, thousands evacuated

SHANGHAI (Reuters) – Heavy rain in China has killed at least 87 people and forced thousands from their homes, state media reported yesterday.

default placeholder

Munich gunman raised locally, had no ties to Islamic state -police

BERLIN, (Reuters) – A German-Iranian teenager who shot and killed nine people and then himself in Munich on Friday had received psychiatric care and was in all probability a lone gunman who had no ties to Islamic State, police said.

A screen grab taken from video footage shows a view of the Olympia shopping mall, the scene of a shooting rampage in Munich, Germany July 22, 2016. Marc Mueller/Handout via REUTERS

German-Iranian gunman kills at least nine in Munich shopping mall

MUNICH,  (Reuters) – An 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman who apparently acted alone opened fire in a busy shopping mall in Munich last evening, killing at least nine people in the third attack against civilians in Western Europe in eight days.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.



Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: