-complainant’s brother also takes poison

The brother of the 18-year-old girl, who attempted suicide last Saturday over a rape ordeal, also made an attempt on his own life yesterday and he is currently being monitored at the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was admitted as a patient.

This newspaper understands that the young man ingested half a bottle of the insecticide ‘Insectox’ yesterday morning as his younger sister was attending court in relation to her matter. (See other story on page 13.) The 20-year-old ingested the substance around 9 am yesterday and had to be rushed to the Diamond Diagnostic Centre after which he was referred to the GPHC. His condition was listed as stable last evening.

When Stabroek News spoke with the young man’s father yesterday at the hospital, he said the entire string of events from last weekend had left him and his family confused and he was at a loss as to why his son would take such a course of action.

He said he was at court yesterday along with his daughter and wife when he received a message of his son’s actions. The man said his son vomited out most of the substance but complained that he was experiencing a burning pain in his stomach. He said what is worrisome is that his son ingested a liquid-type substance. The man said his son confided in another relative and related that he was concerned about his sister attending court and ingested the substance after his parents left for court yesterday. His father lamented that the toll of the events has caused his wife to temporarily move out of their home to that of another relative. Another relative told Stabroek News that the situation has affected the family severely, including two younger siblings.

The man’s wife told Stabroek News yesterday that like her husband, she was frustrated. She noted that her neighbours had made untrue accusations about her family after the story was made public by this newspaper. She said the family is currently constructing their own home at another location and her husband told Stabroek News that the family will be moving into their new home in the coming days.

Stabroek News reported last weekend on the 18-year-old girl’s attempt on her life after becoming frustrated at investigations into her ordeal last October.

Around the Web