Senior Government Engineer, responsible for the Haags Bosch landfill on the East Bank Demerara, Walter Willis yesterday assured that the waste disposal facility remains opened and that no safety regulations were breached in connection with the crushing to death of a sanitation porter there.
“There was no breach in safety rules. It was just an unfortunate accident,” he told Stabroek News.
Clive Chisholm, 43, was killed Thursday afternoon after a truck reversed on him while he was urinating at the back of the vehicle. The man he had joined the company only three weeks ago.
Police and a senior official of Cevon’s Waste Management confirmed that the driver of the waste collection-disposal truck was still in custody. The driver has already told company officials that he had been unaware that Chisholm was at the back of the vehicle and was extremely remorseful that his co-worker met his demise in such a manner.
Willis said that at no time was a decision taken to shut down the landfill site as a result of the incident. He explained that the gate was ordered temporarily closed to preserve the integrity of the accident scene for investigators.
“When I gave the order, it was the security personnel who closed the gate so that no one will enter to contaminate the crime scene. That was just until the police came and carried out their on-scene investigation,” said Willis.
The Cevon’s Waste Management official said the company would contribute towards Chisholm’s funeral expenses.
Police said in a statement, issued yesterday, that Chisholm, who lived in Tucville, was killed around 5 PM. He was pronounced dead on arrival at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC).