Decomposed body suspected to be missing Corentyne woman

-police delaying autopsy

A deteriorated body was discovered three weeks ago at the Bath Settlement sea shore, at West Coast Berbice and relatives of Basmattie Anantram, who disappeared since June 8, are convinced it is her.

The remains, described to be mostly bones with just small portions of flesh, are being kept at a mortuary in Berbice, where they await an examination performed to determine the time of death and the age of the person.

The woman’s sister, Babita, explained that thecorpse has the same length and foot size as Anantram. “Only one person from this area went missing so who else it gon be?” the woman questioned.

Basmattie Anantram

While the sister indicated that the body was found by fishermen who were fishing in the area, Anantram’s brother, Dilchand Pooran, told this newspaper that he had heard it was police officers who made the gruesome discovery.

Pooran wants the examination of the remains done as soon as possible and he is contending that it is as a result of negligence by the police that three weeks have passed without it being done.

He explained that the remains have to be positively identified as his sister before it is handed over to the family and to have that done has so far has been frustrating. “To get the dead is a problem because the police is not going to pick up the doctor,” Pooran stated.

The man said he offered to pick up the doctor so that he could do the examination, but he refused and insisted that the police do their job.

When contacted, Dr. Vivekanand Bridgemohan, the pathologist expected to perform the examination, explained that the legal procedure would be to have the relatives of the deceased make a report and the police would thereafter call and arrange with him to have an autopsy done. He noted that the examination is a very simple procedure.

“The police have never turned up or haven’t called me,” he added.

Pooran is now calling on the relevant authorities to look into the matter, since the skeletal remains have been lying in the mortuary for three weeks.

Anantram, 46, better known as ‘Dato,’ disappeared from her Seawell, Corentyne home. She was last seen by her husband.

It was reported that the man left sometime around midday on June 8 to look after their cows and upon his return, about an hour later, he could not locate the woman.

One of the woman’s relatives explained that her husband migrated to the US about six months ago, but was here on vacation when she disappeared. The man returned to the US two days after her disappearance.

Pooran yesterday told Stabroek News that the police had indicated to him if the remains are identified to be that of Anantram, then further action will be taken to have the husband return to Guyana to assist with investigations.

Comments  

Chatelal forgives Yorke as loan repaid

(Trinidad Guardian)  “Dwight, I forgive you.” So stated reigning Chutney Soca Monarch Neval Chatelal in an open letter to former T&T and Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke yesterday, following the repayment of a $250,000 loan.

Exxon contract final -Harmon

The controversial Production Sharing Agreement (PSA) signed between the government and ExxonMobil’s local subsidiary and partners is final and will not be subject to any changes, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

NIS re-examining investment in Berbice Bridge, GM says

General Manager Holly Greaves yesterday said the National Insurance Scheme (NIS) is re-examining its investment in the Berbice Bridge after dismal returns over the past few years.

CARICOM staffer shot, robbed after bank withdrawal

A gunman yesterday afternoon shot and robbed a senior CARICOM Secreta-riat employee after he left the Republic Bank (Guyana) Limited branch at Triumph, East Coast Demerara (ECD), in what is the most recent attack on the bank’s customers.

President says confident in World Court cause

As Guyana celebrates 48 years as a Republic, President David Granger has reiterated his government’s intention to take the Venezuelan border controversy to the World Court and declared each citizen a protector of the nation’s sovereignty.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×