Colombian forces kill at least 20 FARC guerrillas, talks to reopen

BOGOTA (Reuters) – Colombian forces have killed at least 20 Marxist FARC guerrillas in an air and ground raid near the border with Ecuador, an army general said yesterday, the deadliest strike against rebels since a peace process started.

Despite talks to end 50 years of war, Colombia’s government has vowed to keep up military operations even while the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, called a two-month ceasefire as the two sides try to hash out a deal.

Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos is hoping a decade of US-backed blows against the FARC has left the group sufficiently weakened to seek an end to the war.

In the most deadly attack since the two warring sides started negotiations in mid-October, an airstrike followed by a ground assault on three FARC camps in the southwestern Narino department killed at least 20 rebels late on Sunday.

“On the strength of the attack we found human remains that are in the process of being identified. We’re talking about more than 20 dead, but the figure could be higher,” General Leonardo Barrero, head of the Joint Command Southwest, told Reuters.

Barrero said that security forces have so far been able to identify six of the bodies.

Narino is a microcosm for a range of problems facing Colombia – weak government presence, drug production, poverty, and the presence of guerrillas and new criminal gangs that sometimes fight, sometimes become allies.

Peace talks, which are taking place in Cuba, are trying to tackle some of the root causes of the conflict such as agrarian development, drugs, political participation of opposition groups and victims’ reparations.

Santos said at the weekend that the discussions should not drag on for too long and said they must be completed by November next year or earlier. The rebels have said they would remain at in negotiations as long as necessary.

Comments  

Chinese construction company told to demolish illegal buildings

(Trinidad Express) Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) has given Shanghai Construc-tion Group (SCG) until noon today to vacate and demolish buildings which have been illegally erected and occupied for more than a year on the eastern side of the National Cycling Velodrome in Couva.

Venezuela ‘congress in resistance’ rejects new super-assembly

CARACAS (Reuters) – Venezuela’s opposition-controlled congress yesterday rejected the self-proclaimed lawmaking authority of a new legislative body elected last month at the behest of President Nicolas Maduro, widening the political divide in the crisis-hit country.

Brazil’s agents of the Amazon fighting loggers, fires to stop deforestation

APUI, Brazil (Reuters) – The small town of Apui sits at the new frontline of Brazil’s fight against advancing deforestation in the Amazon rainforest, where vast forest fires belch jet black smoke visible for miles and loggers denude the jungle.

Mexico’s top diplomat visits Cuba to seek help on Venezuela crisis

MEXICO CITY,  (Reuters) – Mexico’s foreign minister is in Havana hoping to persuade Cuba, one of Venezuela’s top allies, to help resolve the tense political situation in the beleaguered South American nation, according to a senior Mexican official briefed about the trip.

Venezuela’s constituent assembly assumes power to legislate

CARACAS, (Reuters) – Venezuela’s new legislative superbody yesterday gave itself the power to pass laws, superseding the opposition-led congress and fueling criticism by government adversaries that socialist President Nicolas Maduro is consolidating a dictatorship.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×