US seeks US$5.9 billion from indigent Allen Stanford

(Reuters) – In a demand more likely to remain symbolic than be fulfilled, the U.S. government wants Allen Stanford to forfeit US$5.9 billion from his massive Ponzi scheme, even though the convicted financier has been declared indigent.

Allen Stanford

The demand requires court approval, and was made two days before Stanford, who was once considered a billionaire, is to be sentenced for operating a multi-billion dollar fraud. Stanford, 62, could spend the rest of his life behind bars.

According to a Tuesday filing with the U.S. District Court in Houston, the government said the US$5.9 billion represents a sum that Stanford’s Antigua-based bank had received from investors in certificates of deposit when it was put into receivership in February 2009.

Prosecutors said Stanford International Bank Ltd had US$7.2 billion of CD account balances at that time, of which US$1.3 billion was fictitious interest.

“While US$5.9 billion is clearly a massive amount of money, it is not at all excessive” given Stanford’s involvement, U.S. Attorney Kenneth Magidson said in a court filing.

He called the requested amount “conservative,” but said it might be harder to prove a higher amount given the duration of Stanford’s fraud and lack of complete records.

Ali Fazel, a lawyer for Stanford, said his client opposes the forfeiture motion. Magidson’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Once considered a billionaire but declared indigent in 2010, Stanford was convicted on March 6 by a federal jury on fraud, conspiracy and obstruction charges related to his alleged two-decade scam, centered on the sale of bogus CDs.

Comments  

Trump dumps controversial chief strategist Bannon in latest upheaval

WASHINGTON/HAGERSTOWN, Md., (Reuters) – President Donald Trump yesterday fired his chief strategist Steve Bannon in the latest White House shake-up, removing a far-right architect of his 2016 election victory and a driving force behind his nationalist and anti-globalization agenda.

India threatens Philip Morris with ‘punitive action’ over alleged violations

NEW DELHI,  (Reuters) – The Indian government has threatened Philip Morris International Inc with “punitive action” over the tobacco giant’s alleged violation of the country’s anti-smoking laws, according to a letter sent to the company by the federal health ministry.

Barcelona van attacker may still be alive, on the run -police

BARCELONA, (Reuters) – The driver of the van that ploughed into crowds in Barcelona, killing 13 people, may still be alive and at large, Spanish police said yesterday, denying earlier media reports that he had been shot dead in a Catalan seaside resort.

South Africa has granted Grace Mugabe diplomatic immunity – source

JOHANNESBURG,  (Reuters) – South Africa has granted diplomatic immunity to Zimbabwe’s first lady, Grace Mugabe, allowing her to return to Harare and avoid prosecution for the alleged assault of a 20-year-old model, a security source said yesterday.

Spain hunts driver who killed 13 in Barcelona, says foils bomb plot

BARCELONA,  (Reuters) – Spain mounted a sweeping anti-terror operation yesterday after a suspected Islamist militant drove a van into crowds in Barcelona, killing 13 people before fleeing, in what police suspect was one of multiple planned attacks.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×