Shot suspect charged over $2M computer store hold-up

Dwayne Charles, the man shot by a businessman hours after allegedly carrying out a $2M raid at his store, was remanded to prison yesterday on armed robbery charges.

Charles, 25, of Lot 49 Russell Street, Charlestown, was not required to plead to three indictable counts of armed robbery when he appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

It was alleged that on September 4, in Georgetown, while in the company of another man, he robbed Anthony Sarjoo of a quantity of items, including seven BlackBerry cell phones, valued $1,835,500 in total.

It was also alleged that he robbed Karim Maxwell of two cell phones, valued $160,000, an iPad valued $70,000 and $3,000 cash.

The third charge against Charles alleged that on the same day, he robbed Christopher Mahadeo of a cell phone, valued $68,000 and $4,500 cash. In total, he is alleged to have stolen $2,141,000 worth of items from all three persons.

The other suspect in the robberies is still at large.

Prosecutor Bharrat Mangru told the court that on September 4, Charles, in the company of another man, visited Isaacs Computer and Electronic Store, located on the third floor of the Regent Multiplex mall on Regent and Wellington streets, at around 9:15am and inquired about repairing his cell phone. He said that Maxwell, an employee at the store, took the cell phone but just as he was about to commence repairs on the cell phone, Charles pulled out a knife and placed it on his neck.

Mangru added that while Charles intimidated Maxwell, his accomplice tied Mahadeo’s hands behind his back and the pair then carted off $2,141,000 worth of stolen items.

Charles, who was unrepresented, told the court that that while he was within the vicinity of KFC and the Route 45 minibus park, he was shot from behind by Sarjoo, owner of Isaacs Computer Electronics Store. He then raised his shirt to display the gunshot wound he received as a result of being shot. He said that the bullet penetrated from his back and exited through his stomach.

Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry then said that she was made to understand based on the police’s facts that he was shot because he attempted to draw what might have been a weapon from his pants waist and since Sarjoo was fearful for his life, he shot him.


Mangru then said that Charles was later positively identified by one of the employees, who was present during the robbery, and Sarjoo, who is a licensed firearm holder, approached him and only shot him when he attempted to pull what was presumed to be a weapon from his waist.

Magistrate Sewnarine-Beharry remanded Charles to prison until September 30, when the matters will be called for statements.

Around the Web