Shrimp fritters are an easy appetizer. They cook up quickly and can be made as your guests are coming through the door. Mix the ingredients together a day ahead if you like, easing up your work on the day of entertaining.
The flavour profile of the fritters can vary depending on your preference for particular herbs or spices. Serve the fritters as is or with a sour or pepper sauce. They go very well with aioli (garlic mayonnaise).
While the fritters can be made with baby white-belly shrimp that can be had in Guyana, these are best made with large prawns.
● Shallow frying pan
● Paper towels
● 1 pound large prawns, shelled and deveined
● ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions (white and green parts)
● 1 tablespoon finely minced parsley
● Finely minced hot pepper, to taste
● Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
● ¾ cup fresh breadcrumbs
● 2 eggs
● Vegetable oil
1. Wash and pat dry the cleaned shrimp and chop coarsely
2. Add the chopped shrimp along with the following ingredients to a bowl: green onions, parsley, hot pepper, salt and pepper to taste, bread crumbs and eggs. Mix together. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
3. When you are ready to make the fritters, bring the shrimp mixture up to room temperature.
4. Pour enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan (about 4 – 5 tablespoons) and place on medium heat until hot.
5. Add the mixture by heaped tablespoons into the pan and press down lightly to flatten the fritter. Cook for 1 minute or until brown, flip and cook for another minute. Drain on paper towels.
6. Repeat until all the mixture is cooked. Serve warm.
● To make fresh breadcrumbs, take day old bread, break into pieces and pulse in a food processor.
● If you do not have access to fresh breadcrumbs, dried breadcrumbs can work, however, you will need to add milk to the dried breadcrumbs to rehydrate the crumbs, which will make the mixture tender.
● Make the fritters as small or large as you like, however, bear in mind that the cooking time will vary. Smaller fritters will take less time and larger fritter will take more time.
● Cilantro/Coriander, celery, tarragon, ginger and dill can all be used to flavour the fritters. Cumin, garam masala and other savoury spice blends add to the flavour profile too.