Cops may face charge today over Colwyn Harding assault, Brumell says

-disciplinary action recommended for some ranks

The case file on the Colwyn Harding rape probe is now at the Chambers of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and according to Police Commis-sioner Leroy Brumell ranks could be taken to court as early as today. Speaking to reporters after the launch of the SWAT Unit training programme yesterday, Brumell said it was recommended that disciplinary action be taken against some of the ranks under section 17:01 of the Police Act while “some would be taken to court”. He said that if the file is returned from the DPP, the accused ranks would be in court by today.

Stabroek News was reliably informed that the file was taken to the DPP sometime during the course of yesterday. When checks were made late in the afternoon, it was still there.

Based on what this newspaper has so far gathered, none of the ranks who are the subject of the investigation would be charged in relation to a rape by baton that Harding has alleged owing to a lack of evidence.

Sources close to the case had said that Harding was never examined and as a result the crucial medical evidence to support his claim is missing. This newspaper was told that there definitely will be criminal charges in relation to the physical assault of Harding as there were several witnesses who have come forward with accounts of him being beaten while in custody at the Timehri Police Station. There were no witnesses to the alleged sexual assault.

Harding has alleged that a constable rammed a condom covered baton into his rectum on November 15 last after kicking down the door to a house he was staying at in Timehri. The constable along with other ranks were at the time investigating a report of break and enter and larceny.

After Harding’s allegations were made public last month, Brumell announced that he had ordered that the division hand over the investigation to the Office of Professional Responsibility. After OPR completed its investigation, the file was sent to the Chairman of the Police Complaints Authority, who sent it to the office of the Crime Chief on Wednesday. It was then dispatched to the DPP the following day.

Harding is presently in Jamaica where he is scheduled to undergo a second independent examination to ascertain the extent of his injuries, which his supporters claim were due to his assaults. The first examination which was done at a private hospital days after he was discharged from the Georgetown Hospital revealed that there was bleeding in the rectum.

After being charged with assaulting a policeman, Harding was subsequently held at the Georgetown Prisons since he was unable to post bail. On December 13 last, he was taken to the Georgetown Hospital after complaining of feeling unwell. He was examined and was returned to the prison where he collapsed several days later and had to be rushed back to the hospital. An emergency operation was done on him the following morning for what the doctors have since said was a hernia. He has, however, disputed that he had a hernia and has said that his injuries were as a result of the alleged rape.

 

Comments  

Billions diverted by prison unrest partly to blame for GuySuCo severance shortfall in budget – Trotman

Alliance for Change (AFC) leader Raphael Trotman yesterday said the diversion of billions to the security sector after the destruction of the Camp Street prison was partly responsible for the government not budgeting the full sum for severance payments to laid off sugar workers.

Cops seek motive for Pomeroon murders

  The police were up to yesterday afternoon still working to ascertain the motive behind the murders of Ambrose Baharally and Martin Godette, the Pomeroon farmers who were shot dead on Sunday and a potential witness was taken into custody to assist with the investigation.

Ramotar claims gov’t ignored promised India loans for sugar industry

Former President Donald Ramotar has accused the current government of accepting loans from India that he initiated except those pertaining to the rehabilitation of the sugar industry but State Minister Joseph Harmon says he is unaware of the claim and has urged that the former head of state prove it.

Child rapist sentenced to 45 years

Omadat Persaud, who was on trial for raping a five-year-old girl in 2015, was yesterday afternoon sentenced to 45 years in jail after a jury unanimously convicted him of the crime.

Mother urges justice for vendor killed by city cop

The mother of Marlon Fredericks, the mentally-challenged vendor who was fatally shot by a member of the city constabulary on Sunday, yesterday called for justice for her son, while saying that an autopsy found that he died of a gunshot wound to his chest.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×