Shot restaurant supervisor says hospital never informed about bullet lodged in his body

Jason Fraser, the supervisor shot during an attempted robbery at the Shakers Mexican Grill and Bar more than a month ago, says he was discharged from the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPH) without ever being informed that the bullet that struck him was still lodged in his back.

Fraser, who wants help from the Ministry of Health to travel overseas for treatment, said his mother, Joy Lamaison, who resides in the US, is working on getting him there but having his travel documents prepared is proving to be challenging though the medical report from GPH was received on Monday.

Efforts to speak with a GPH official for comment on this matter yesterday were unsuccessful.

Jason Fraser
Jason Fraser

The shooting took place on January 25, 2014, at the Water Street business, where Fraser, 28, of Lot 57 Robb Street, was shot in the abdomen.

Fraser was in his office when the would-be robber, who appeared to be in his late teens, entered the restaurant’s side door. He then approached Fraser, who was in his office and demanded money. A scuffle ensued, during which Fraser was shot once was to the lower left side of his abdomen.

Fraser was hospitalised for five days and was discharged although he informed his doctors that he was feeling pain and discomfort in his back. He said doctors and nurses told him that the pain was as a result of him lying on his back for a prolonged period.

He said he and his mother took the hospital’s word until they went to the Brickdam Police Station to enquire about the progress of the investigation into the case and they were told that the bullet—a vital piece of evidence in the case—was not yet received from the hospital and was in fact still inside of him.

Fraser said his mother subsequently visited GPH and inquired about the bullet from the doctor mainly responsible for his treatment while hospitalised. The doctor, Fraser said told his mother that the hospital does not trace bullets. He said that the doctor also told his mother that he did not tell her that the bullet was still inside her son’s body because she did not ask.

Fraser said this answer confused his mother and she subsequently decided to obtain a second opinion on the back pains he has been experiencing.

He was taken to a private hospital, where a CT scan was done on February 5 and an X-ray on February 6. These scans revealed the bullet was still lodged in his spine.

He said both himself and his mother are struggling to understand why they were not told of the bullet at GPH. “I did the X-ray at GPH and the bullet was there. I don’t know why they didn’t take it out,” Fraser said.

As a result of the shooting, Fraser’s intestines were severely damaged and had to be surgically repaired by doctors at the GPH. As a result of the damage, he presently uses colostomy bags.


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Most Read This Week

  1. Overseas-based Guyanese shot and robbed after leaving bank

  2. Joel Ghansham loses $7.5m in burglary

  3. Escapee told cops accomplice gave him cash to travel to West Bank – Persaud

  4. Thirteen prisoners escape from Lusignan

  5. Lusignan 13 escaped via tunnel – Ramjattan

  6. Ex-magistrate held over alleged attempt to pervert course of justice

  7. GPL sues Kwame McCoy for $143,000

  8. Updated: List of escapees today from Lusignan facility

Recommended For You